Hi there

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DaveB, Jul 29, 2005.

1. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

I've been trying to get MCP/MCAD/MCSD certification on and off for a couple of years now - I actually have it as a training objective at work. I have started self study a few times and taken a few transcender tests but have never found the time free either at work or at home to see it through (I don't think I lack the motivation but perhaps I do need to feel pushed).

Recently I decided to look into intensive training courses as an option and a company called The Training Camp kept appearing as what seem to be the best of very few options. I've not been able to find very much information on them other than official stuff from the company. It was while researching them that I came across this site which seems like a great resource.

I should say that the idea of an intensive, exam focused course does not instinctively appeal to me. I prefer the idea of studying to gain knowledge and understanding rather than certification, however my circumstances dictate otherwise just now. Certification should help me to either progress in my current company or to move on - and who knows I may just retain some new knowledge.

I have been fully utilised at work (as a c# developer on web apps mainly in the mid tier, but some database and front end, plus some web services) for the last couple of years and have had real difficulty getting time off to train. At home my two young kids and various DIY commitments and household chores keep me fully occupied.

An intensive course seems like a good, if hard option from my perspective, and my employers seem willing to fund it so I hope to give it a go.

I'd be really keen to hear from anyone who has any experience of this kind of studying.

cheers

Certifications: MCAD
    WIP: MCSD
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, DaveB. Welcome to CertForums. Hope we can lend you a hand in your pursuits. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

Thanks Trip, I'll keep you posted as to how I get on

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

There's more than a few members here that are in the same situation as you are, family kids house etc. Generally the way most of us study (I think) is that the study gets squeezed in where and when possible. For me that means 9 PM till late. Also the intensive schooling is usually for those with a lot of experience and who need to just fill in the gaps and polish up on what they already have.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hi. Welcome aboard and good luck with those certs! I was the same - trouble really getting motivated and slowly started putting it off. Handing over a huge slice to training providers is one hell of a motivation to keep going!

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi from me too, DaveB - good luck from me too :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Dave B :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

Thanks Nugget your thoughts are greatly appreciated, and it's good to hear that there are other in my situation.

I have been through phases where I've been studying most nights but have found that pressures of work have taken over and I have ended up giving up the study to go in and work late to meet deadlines etc. Now I know that I could say no to this and manage my time better for my own advantage, but until now I have not done this.

Just now I am going into work an hour early to study there before everyone else arrives. I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks but it is great - sadly I will have to stop doing this when the school term starts and I'll have to take my daughter to nursery in the mornings. I'm also fairly sure that the problems with tight deadlines at work will continue.

As for the high level of experience required beforhand I do fear that I may be biting off more than I can chew with an intensive course. I think I would be able to get through the Web Apps exam in this way and with preparation beforehand perhaps the WinForms exam. I have some experience of web services and remoting but I have heard that the components exam is the hardest, so this would be a bonus - although I would definitely give it my best shot.

My alternative to taking this approach is to take a week off work (my employers would support this) and self study for just one exam.

I think that I'm going to take the intensive approach because I'm pretty sure that I would come out of it with at least one MCP and realistically could have 2 with an outside chance of 3.

The course fee would be paid by my employers who accept that they have not been able to support my training goals over the last 18 months or so, so I don't feel bad about taking this approach.

I do understand that I will still have to do the work, this way I just won't be able to avoid it!

Thanks again for your input

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dave,

Welcome to CF.
    Don't worry matey you aren't alone with the house, kids, and all the other duties. It is harder for me because I am trying to get a foot in the door. :D
    Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. DaveB

DaveB Bit Poster

You're right Boyce, I'm lucky to have a family and to already be working in the area I want to. I really shouldn't grumble.
    Have you been trying to get a foot in the door for a long time?

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dave,

Not really, if I think about it. I have always been interested in computers since the Amiga 500 days. (what a good games machine that was :D ).
    They took a back seat for a while and then about a year ago I decided to get back in to them and decided I would like to change direction if possible and started with the A+.
    I am going along the A+, Network+, 70-270, MCSE road. I hope by the time I have got the 70-270 under my belt I might be employed in the field.

Best of luck Dave.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT