Hi peeps, new with a few q's

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by mattyfez, Feb 27, 2007.

1. mattyfez

mattyfez Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Great forums here, plenty of advice an resources8)

I decided some months back to do the MCDST to get into the IT field, possibly followed by a comptia cert,

However ive got some concerns about my readyness for the
    test(s)

ive been a "serious hobbyist" lol if there is such a thing, for a fw years now, and ive been studying the material for about 3 months.
    im studying from sybex and ms press books, and although i do well at the questions in the books, the questions on the MSpress windows operating sys cd are still causing aggro,

im scoring about 80/90% in the books but my CD scores vary from 50-80%, which to me means im not nearly ready yet.
    ive identified and noted my problem areas, but was wondering if anyone can offer some insight to how the mspress q's compare to the actual test q's in terms of difficulty.

another annoyance is that im dropping marks due to approaching a scenario my way, rather than trouble shooting the way MS dictates....any tips on getting into the MS mindset???:cry:

any help much appreciated

matt

2. mattyfez

mattyfez Bit Poster

Just to add,

another thing im struggeling to get my head round is knowing the exact order to do things in, for example, i can set up LAN and ICS in 10 mins flat, but if you asked me to write down step by step how to do it in the correct order, first time, im screwed:oops:

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi and welcome.

I'd suggest that you may want to get hold of the Transcender Practice exams. They are pricey, but will let you know what level you are at and give great feedback. It also used to be said that if you passed a Transcender then you would walk the real thing!

Be cautious in you use of Practice questions as once you have seen them once you can start to memorise the answer and not actually know the answer.

Try and take each test only once and review what results you get to see where your weak area's are.

4. mattyfez

mattyfez Bit Poster

Thanks for the tip, just downloaded some free trancender tests from thier site, will see how i get on...:eek:

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

The transcender tests are great, and like SGUK says, dont overuse them. I know 2 people who done that, and managed to fail A+ twice, because they memorised the transcender and thought they were ready.

Also, in the MSPress book there are alot of links to webpages near the back for further reading up on subjects, so have a look at them because the book doesnt cover everything that pops up in the exam.

The best way ive found for memorising the order a task should be done in is to just sit at the pc and do it a few times till it sticks, simple but effective (for me anyway):)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. mattyfez

mattyfez Bit Poster

Thanks for the tip about further reading, raffaz, i kind of ingnored that section of the book lol i guess ill have to pay that and the MS KB some attention (groan).

Ive just done both of the free trail transcender tests, and bombed, ( overall score for both tests 60% ) the promising thing is my scores reflect my MSPress scores, so i know where my weak points are, so its back to the grindstone for me.

Its funny... when i first started studying, I thought it would be more a case of just re-capping what i already know, but ive found out quite a few xp obsurities that i just would never have been aware of otherwise.

At least it proves that the MCDST is a valuable foundation cert, theres no way anyone could just bluff thier way through it.

thanks for the input, its back to study for me