Hi folks

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Lebowski, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski New Member

Howdy all

I have been lurking these forums for a little while now (specifically the MCDST section) and thought it was about time to reveal myself!

I completed my computing degree at the beginning of this year aged 36 with a view to getting into IT. I found the degree alone wasn't the magical key to the door I'd hoped it would be and it took me six months to get myself my first job, a contrator working on a Bank's IT help desk. This proved to be a nightmare job being heavily statted with the emphasis on churning as many calls through the helpdesk as possible and not much focus on actually fixing or learning anything - it was a callcenter when all said and done. Air traffic control would probably have been less stressful :)

Anyhow, I am starting a new job next week for a local authority's IT Department, again in a helpdesk role. This particular job seems a little more civilised and varied than the last one.

After reading numerous comments on the difficulty level involved with getting a foot in the door of IT I can say that I'm grateful for my first call center style job as it looks quite impressive on a CV, plus it has given me 6 months valuable experience that seemed to enable me to secure a different job relatively easily compared to the period of time it took trying to break in to the industry.

I am looking to self study the MCDST and I'm currently exploring the options I have as far as study aids are concerned. I have the 70-271 training kit so far but I'm interested in signing up for some video lessons. So far I have sat through one of Bill Ferguson's sample tutorials and found it pretty good.

Well nice to meet you folks and thanks for all the good advice posted on here!

2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hi and welcome! :D

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685