Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ellie Jane, May 25, 2004.

1. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

Hi there everyone

My name is Ellie Jane, I've just started studying Tech Support for ICT Systems through Learn Direct and I've been told that this is a wonderful place to get quality advice. As I've only just started I haven't had any probs yet but it's nice to know that should I need any advice, there are people willing to help.

T.T.F.N
    Ellie Jane :newbie

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums Ellie Jane, I hope we see more of you soon. If you need any help please don't be afraid to ask.

That sounds like an interesting course, I used to work for a Learn Direct centre but never got the chance to do that course. Whats the content about and how are you finding it? Do you have an IT background?

Si :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum Ellie Jane. Don't be afraid to ask about anything as we are an open bunch here and won't bite your head off (at least not on the first day).[​IMG]

Chat's are on thursday nights so if you get the chance, come along. :lol:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi there Ellie Jane, its good you joined us.

Don't beleive a word Nugget said, we are a sober bunch of certaholics who take life and IT very seriously.

:eek: :cheers2 :smile-l

:iluvcf

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Who are you calling sober AJ.
    :alc2 :cheers2 :alc :morebeer :berrr
    :brancard :sleeping :bath
    and then do it all again :!:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Welcome Ellie :)
    hope you enjoy your stay here at certforums

we are? oh bugger i knew i was at the wrong forum
    what have you done with the old certforums you evil man!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome, Ellie Jane. Rosy, Greebo, Littlebud and a few of the other "girl geeks" will be thrilled that you're on board. As you may have gathered, this forum and IT in general tends to be a bit heavy on the male side of the spectrum. We can use more women who are interested in the techie side of the street. I'm glad you're aboard. Please feel free to use the resources here and don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what CertForums is all about.

Sober, huh? As I recall, the first few hundred posts here were pretty much focused on "What's your favorite ale, mate?" and "Pubs that will go down in history". :lol:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

lol@Trip [​IMG]

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hi :!: Ellie Jane
    That's a pretty name you have.

Welcome :!: :D

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Steady, lad. She just got here. Don't scare her off in the first day. :wink: :D

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ellie Jane, and welcome from me too :D

I, erm, see you met the Guys already then ? :roll: Well, I'm afraid to say that all of the above is actually true. You still sure you wanna stay ?

Only kidding - you'll fit in just great here - ENJOY :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No he's not. :lol: :shades

13. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

Hi, it's me again

The first part of the course is Supporting PC Hardware. The course modules are: Hardware basics, System configuration, Safety and preventative maintenance, Installing upgrading and trouble shooting, Motherboards and components, Printers, Laptop PC's, Networking and Customer Services Techniques. After I've done that I'll be moving onto the Software course, I've got no idea what's in that course.

A lot if the stuff that's in this course I already know but I haven't got a formal qualification, which is a problem when it comes to looking for work.

I got into computers when Win 3.1 was the latest OS. I bought a second hand PC for college work, but when it went wrong I couldn't afford to take it anywhere to get it sorted so I got some books from the library and tought myself how to fix it, from there I tought myself about upgrading and maintaining and then tought myself how to build myself a new one. I build and repair PC's for friends and family and I've recently built 3 new PC's for the house and networked them, it keeps the kids off mine. I just love messing around with PC's and decided to get myself some qualifications and get someone to pay me to mess around with them, sounds good to me. :D

Looks like this is gonna be a fun place to be, I'll have to try and get into the chat room tomorrow night, might be a bit quiet to start with cuz I'm a little shy :oops:

T.T.F.N
    Ellie Jane

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Doesn't sound like you're such a newbie with a background like that. Also sounds like you may have a few years on most of the kids around here if you can remember Windows 3.1. Don't worry...I'm practically ancient compared to everyone else around here. I don't doubt you'll do quite well in the hardware portion of your course and most likely in anything else you set your mind to. :wink:

15. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It sounds like a good course and something that may lead you into the CompTIA A+ (link). Do you have a goal, are you heading toward a specific job within IT?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  16. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Bit Poster

Once I've completed these two courses I'm gonna go for the CompTIA A+. After that I shall unleash myself onto the job market, I think initially I'll be looking for work as a computer service technician, the work would be enjoyable and the salary potential is good. I may decide in the future to upgrade my qualifications and see what new opportunities arise from that.

17. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Welcome onboard Ellie Jane - as Trip says I am glad to find more females to stand up to these lairy gents in here - not sure about the whole "girl geeks" thing though! :twisted:

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Oh come on Rosy, if a hairy ex-biker type like me can admit that he wants to be a geek, you surely can admit that you are a geek.[​IMG]