Hi All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dapex, Apr 16, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex Bit Poster

Hello everyone. I am a total newbie to these forums. I am here as I would like to take my ccna and maybe my ccda. I am based in Nottingham, I would like to do most of the studying myself at home using books and the net, but as yet i dont even know where i can take the exams locally..

I hope to be able to learn lots of info and maybe even share some of my limited knowledge..

Cheers

Dapex

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Dapex, and a very warm welcome to CF.

I ain't a Cisco bod myself, but plenty here are, and the rest are just damn friendly. Hang around for a little bit, and you'll soon receive not only a similar welcome, but a load of advice too.

Enjoy :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum, glad you've made it :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Dapex. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place. Newbies are completely welcome here. As far as pursuing your Cisco certs, how much networking background do you have? You mention being a newbie to the forums but you don't say how much networking experience you have.

With Cisco, if you plan to self study, it would really help if you had some cisco equipment to play with. It would be pretty tough to pass just by reading the books.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF dapex. I started doing CCNA about 2 years ago but gave it up as it wasn't really my thing. I maybe wrong but Cisco stuff is pretty hard to self learn as their is a lot of configuring routers and switches which cisco likes to make difficult. You may need to get your hands on some Cisco equipment or virtual lab software. Have you maybe thought about doing your CCNA at college as most colleges run the program through the day and night as well and it's pretty cheap to do the course and you get to use their gear cause Cisco equipment is pretty expensive if memory serves me right. Just a thought..:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forums mate.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. dapex

dapex Bit Poster

Thanks for the welcome. I work in a telecomms enviroment and also plan internet circuits for customers but I dont have that much to do with working on routers etc. I do have router simulation software and I can borrow routers and maybe switches from work if I got desperate,

I cannot find any where locally that I can study for my CCNA but then again I cannot find anywhere to sit the exam eiter (any tips on who runs the exams)

Hope that gives you a bit of an insight into my background.

Cheers...

P.S Has anyone had any dealing with www.e-careers.co.uk They have phoned me after i registered on their site and told me I can 1yr acess to all their IT training courses which includes CCNA and CCDA for £450 +vat. They do not do the exam or anyhting, all they do is give me access to their websites and for exaplme the ccna is 53hrs of online lessons..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Have you tried learndirects website they are pretty good at searching for courses in your area both locally and distance learning. CCNA is really popular with adult learning centres and colleges so I would give your local college/s a ring and see if they run the course. Doing it through college rather than a training company will save you a load of money (Though exams aren't included so places have the vouchers an a discounted price). Learndirect search facility on their website is pretty good so I would start there.

As for where to take the exams echoe what Phoenix has said you pretty much either take your exams with Pearson's VUE or Prometric and will be able to find your nearest exam centre on their websites.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011