Hi All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by phonetic, Feb 17, 2007.

1. phonetic

phonetic New Member

Hello folks

I'm 20, have been messing about for too long and want to get into IT. My background is school, college (HNC Computing - what a waste of time!) and Uni, although I dropped out.

I spend far too many hours a day sitting here and I'd like to think I'm fairly skilled and knowledgable when it comes to computers, but that doesn't count for much when I'm looking for a job!

I was looking at Advent's training regime - £4750, A+ up to MCSE and the bloke that came round made it sound great, but I'm glad I found these forums. I'm now planning to do the A+ and hopefully, if that goes well and I enjoy it, move on to the N+ and higher.

I got 68% on a Hardware test for the A+ just giving it a go out of interest, so hopefully with a little study I'll sail through. Haven't tried the OS yet, so we'll see about that :dry

Cheers for having me :biggrin

WIP: A+
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Wise decision on the self study route, and the A+ is the best place to start.

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Hi there. good choice with the advent :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I dont think he has went with Advent :)
    Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome. Good to meet you.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. phonetic

phonetic New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

I'm not going the advent route, but I've got a couple of questions about it. About the job guarantee, the timeframe for a job and certs you're required to have passed before they get you a job.

I was looking in the Training & Dev subforum and saw people mention the job guarantee with Advent. I was wondering how that could be seeing as the advent guy I spoke to said they didn't guarantee, but tried their best to get you a job. Pressuring him for some figures, he said 70% of people got a job whilst they were training, although I'd assume that could be years what with the amount of certs they're putting you through and no set time to complete.

Their figures sound great - 98% of people pass the course, etc, but it sounds as though those figures don't include people who've stopped after x amount of certs and didn't complete the whole thing, if you see what I'm saying?

Anyway, I'm a cynic. Self study does seem like the better option for me, just now.

WIP: A+
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im with Advent myself, and im happy with them at the moment, although i would have went the self study route, if id known about it. The workshops that ive done to date are basic, and not hands on enough. But maybe that will change as the course gets harder. As for the job thing, i havent got one from them yet, but i do know other people who have been offered interviews etc.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well Done for Choosing the self study :biggrin

Good luck

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF.

Remember self study isn't for everyone, but if you can self-study good on you. Don't rush into trying to get the higher professional certs (MCSE/MCSA) without IT experience, get your foot in the door first of all with the A+, Network+, MCDST, etc.

"MCSA candidates should have 6–12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems." - Microsoft

"MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems." - Microsoft

Professional certs are suppose to go hand in hand with your job.

Anyway good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not 100% sure about Advent because I haven't used them but most training companies will give you a nice piece of paper that states you passed their course - this means nothing apart from you have completed their course, their course certificate is not recognised outside of their organisation.

Microsoft MCP exams are taken at either a Prometric or VUE testing centre - these are the real exams that the course attempts to prepare you for - in reality a lot of further *self study* is usually required to pass the actual real exam. Hence you can find yourself, like I did, in a situation where you have done four courses without having sat a single Microsoft exam. They (training companies) schedule the courses when they can get enough bums on seats, they do not schedule courses dependant on your training status and the real exams that you have sat.

[Edit] Hi and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

yea i had the some guy from advent come over too. i signed all the documents and that and the course starts in 2 weeks. lucky i found this forum 2 cancel it

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcp