Hey

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Kmcgee47, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Kmcgee47

Kmcgee47 Bit Poster

Hey. I'm kind of new to networking in general. I am 20 years old and have been working with Cisco Routers, Switches, Cisch Call Unified Manager, VOIP Telephony and such for about 2 years in the US Army. I plan on getting out in 2 years. I am S+, and N+ certified, working towards a CCNA. I recently bought Todd Lammle's book to study with [same thing I used for N+ and S+], and was wondering if anyone had tips/hints on how to study alone better. I have a hard time studying for the CCNA alone. Can anyone give me ideas to make it easier to study, and retain the information? Also, I am glad to be a part of CertForums. Well I really appreciate any responses. Thanks for the help!!

Keith
    U.S. Army

Certifications: N+, S+
    WIP: CCNA, A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Keith, and welcome to CF:), must say you have an impressive skillset in networks and two years is like gold dust. Well there really is no easy way of studying to pass any cert as you probably know from obtaining the N+ and S+ certs.

The real task is finding the time, discipline and motivation. I'd suggest you get the TestOut vids or CBT nuggets vids on the CCNA as watching a video on the subject matter in question can help reinforce what you've learnt etc.

Best wishes and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Kmcgee47

Kmcgee47 Bit Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome! =] Test Out? I will have to check that out. I was thinking about buying Todd Lammle's CCNA video set, because I like the way his books are written, and the CCNA book I bought included a sample of his video series. I think I eventually end up buying a video set for the CCNA, but I'm not sure which one yet. I've got to do some research haha. Thank you for the advice, and I will be sure to keep my progress updated on this forum. I feel like a part of an underground community haha.

Keith
    U.S. Army

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not underground at all... in fact, we're on pretty solid ground, here. There *are* underground IT certification forums that condone cheating on exams... and you don't want to be a part of those.

Thank you for your service to the freedom our country holds dear, my brother. And welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kmcgee47

Kmcgee47 Bit Poster

No problem! I enjoy serving. I think its a good building block. Judging from your signature thing at the bottom of the message, I take it you were in also? Is that what the 25 Series Mos's used to be? But no harm meant, I didn't even think it was possible to cheat on certs, and wound never do such a thing!

6. Kmcgee47

Kmcgee47 Bit Poster

Actually, now that I take a second look, that 98C Intelligence Analyst looks more like MI if I'm not mistaken..

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, it's MI - Signals Intelligence Analyst. The 98C MOS changed to 35N back in 2007. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!