Here's one for you all..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dazza786, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Sooo..

I'm not quite sure if you guys have ever thought about this one before but..

What do you all think of stuff like afterlife and things....?

:biggrin:rolleyes::biggrin:twisted:

Haha nono don't worry i'm joking.. :twisted:
    But on a serious note.. what has happened with e-gaming these days?

A few years ago, fps', strategy and other types of gaming were all of the rage! New games were being brought out every few months which everybody was looking forward for.. people were competing in e-leagues/cups etc... then all of a sudden it seemed as though MMORPG's became mainstream and ate up all of the gamers! Ever since then I havent seen one decent game worth investing money/time in and it's quite depressing.

I was quite a hardcore FPS player back in this glorious time I speak of, playing games such as Quake3/RTCW/ET/CS1.6 etc... These days, if I attempt to play games like Crysis/Farcry or any of the other so-called 'next gen' games.. I just can't think of anything else other than its online gameplay being absolutely dire in comparison to the oldies.

I did however really like the idea of QuakeLive (pretty much quake3 via your browser - www.quakelive.com) but something has put me off it since it went open beta. I think it might be because they're trying to aim it at anybody and everybody, as a glorified flash game that one can play at work whilst they're on lunch\bored.

So now that rant is over, what:
    -did you used to play ?
    -do you still play?
    -are you looking forward to playing?

-daz

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I hate online gaming always have done always will.

It's made games short live affairs and there was so many coming out it seemed that developers didn't really care and made a game that would be finished in about 2 minutes because of the expectation that people would play online.

LAN gaming was good with games like quake and doom and is still good with other games but I still feel you can't go wrong with a good imersive one player experience but this is very rare these days. That is probably the reason I keep playing Oblivion over and over.

Crysis is about the best FPS I have played for years, didn't much enjoy the multiplayer online mode though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Last online monthly-pay-to-pay game I played was Asheron's Call... think that was '99. No reason to spend that much money when there are plenty of playable games on the shelf just waiting to be played!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have been into online FPS gaming since it's inception. Doom on small lans using serial and also dos based IPX/SPX networking (that was a real challenge to setup the first time I tried it). Then moved onto Quakeworld via modems and Quake2 DM & CTF. Played Q2 the most and was part of a very big UK league movement for a long time (UKCCL & Savage). That led onto organising some of the early big lan parties in the UK.

All in the past now though, I still like my FPS's but don't play them compettively any more. CS:Source and TF2 now and again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Farcry2 - dear god that rubbish.

Use to play alot like every day CSS on PC would hope that one day it be released on Xbox but sadly never going to happen.

Mostly play now FT2 or L4D

edit; waves at Modey

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

FPS, really not my thing, nice graphics, lame gameplay, last one I played and enjoyed was duke nukem.

Other stuff I used to like, Dungeon Master, Elite, Bards Tale, Tex Murphy, Grim Fandango, Dune.

You used to be able to learn little bits and pieces from games, history, culture, politics, engineering, puzzle solving, not much but a little at least.

Also I used to like the artistic and comedic elements too, the hand drawn graphics, the soundtracks, the animations.

As impressive as the 3D stuff is I think we've lost a lot.

Played the odd game since on consoles and PC's but not really got into anything.

In general I don't play now, no time for an IT career, certs and games. 60+ hours a week staring at a screen is enough already ! :D

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Do I know you from somewhere else then Ence? Don't recognise the name from my gaming past. I have always played as DeadMode btw.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I'm a Quake player, have been for years now and started on Sega Dreamcast version of Quake3. I've been on PC for most of the time, since 1.32+OSP with a little CPMA vq3.

You're right about Quakelive, the damage has been reduced on rail and lightning gun and buffed on shotgun and rockets (apparently it's the same on rockets with increased splash or something). Obviously rocket launcher and shotgun are the easiest guns to use so now anyone can make frags but they've also made the hitbox larger, or stranger, though it's hard to tell if it was deliberate. Either way, the skill ceiling is lower than it was on Quake3 but it's still fun and the browser UI has brought a lot of options to the future of the game and games to come e.g. BF Heroes (same idea).

Could rant about Quakelive for much longer but I don't think the negatives outweight the positives. The main surprise for me is how busy it is compared to Quake 3 when it's almost an exact copy (except a few changes), with the same guns, same maps, same movement etc.

It has also remained busy for more than 1 month, thus already doing better than Quake 4, of course being for free and more beginner friendly will have a lot to do with that.

Also, you're right about MMORPG's, WoW in particular played a major part in the death of the Quake3 community and most likely many more fps games. It's hardly surprising: you play online with other people, you can do co-op (instances), play by yourself (quests etc.), play PVP on your own (be it in battle grounds or random fighting in the open world), play PVP with friends/guilds and most importantly you don't need to be a skilled gamer, just put in enough time to earn the best rewards which will give you an advantage over lesser geared players (so unlike FPS time spent > skill and class x>y>z>x unless you're a warlock in which you become a and we all know a>x+y+z :P)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I used to play a few online games, especially CSS and Generals, Red Alert etc.. I liked my RTS and FPS games :)
    Now I don't bother as much. I've recently started playing Diablo 2 after I found they had a high resolution patch/hack, and just reinstalled Generals.