HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by lovelyshady, Jun 1, 2007.

1. lovelyshady

lovelyshady New Member

Hello all,

As a brand new shiny member of this forum, I would like to say please can I have some advice?

I am currently working in IT and have been for 4 years now. I have done the Cisco CCNA course but not done the final exam so it doesn't really count.

I've been applying for jobs and not getting anywhere fast. I was looking to do a MCSE course and have found one from a well known training provider. It has 6 exams + 1 elective and at the end of it you get a MCSE a MCSA and a MCP cert. They are charging (special offer price) £3699 exec VAT (payable over a year interest free).

As I don't know much about this sort of thing this doesn't seem too bad for 3 bits of paper as I work fulltime and don't really have time for self study or time off work. This is spread over 21 months so seems like an ideal option for me.

Does anyone have any better advice for me as I'm not entirely sure what to do? I've read a couple of posts and they confused the hell out of me so I thought i'd just ask!

Thanks in advance.

Approved - Boyce

WIP: Still deciding....
  2. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Firstly always remember that there is no such thing as a guarantied qualification, so dont go with a company cos they say that.

Secondly what does the cost actually include,
    materials (official books with the O/S in), training help / classroom type study, the full 7 exams?

Point to note = MCP - you get this as soon as you pass an exam with Microsoft :)

Im currently on a 6 week intensive mcse course, i paid a little more than you did but i get 9 - 6 training from an experienced instructor and 2 exams for what i paid. i have to find the cash for the remaining exams so it can be up to £1000 just for exams.

So to be honest what you wanna check is this.

Do you get 7 exams for the cost.
    What type of study is it? - Home totally or mixed home and some classroom.
    What sort of support is there - as in interactive web based lessons, online tutors etc..
    And its up to you but you might wanna post the company name so you can get some feedback from guys and gals who have done courses there berfore.

Hope that helps a little

Oh and Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

In short; what Monkey said about doing your research, et al. Training providers promise the earth, but the onus is on you as the student to make sure that they deliver. It often doesn't happen that way.

Also, what do you do at the moment? Has the job you've been doing given you the experience you need to say, pick up the MCSE self study pack from Amazon and pick up enough info to pass?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. lovelyshady

lovelyshady New Member

Thanks for the welcome :biggrin

The training provider is Computeach. I've heard good things from people at work who have done the courses but wasn't entirely sure.

The details are - Online course materials 24/7, Online tutors, 2 days in class for each exam (14 in total) - these are not compulsory apparantly. Official Microsoft course materials as well (paper copies).

There are mock exams all the way through and they won't let you take the final one until you are ready.

All 7 exams are included in the price and 1 free retake if necessary.

This all sounds good to me but as i said i'm not entirely sure.

At the moment I set up WIndows Servers with SQL 2005 and networking equipment (router, switches etc.) for small scale electronic bingo installations (500 clients) etc. I'm comfortable with a lot of the technical knowledge but not all and thought that a course with tutors to check up on me was the best way forward.

Approved - Boyce

WIP: Still deciding....
  5. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

check out theskillsgap.com. 6 week boot camp, and with yoru experience it should be pretty easy for you. Also only costs £3999.

(no, i dont work for them, but i have been looking at doing their course.)

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree.

I always recommend self-study. First, it's cheaper than taking a course. Secondly, as you advance in your career, you're *going* to have to learn how to study independently at some point. Companies don't typically send their employees to long and expensive training classes. And if you're not constantly learning in IT, you quickly become obsolete - or, at the very least, less attractive than your competition.

Self-study can be done; I'm living proof. All the certifications in my sig have come through self-study and on-the-job learning - I have yet to take a training course for any of them.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!