Help

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Theprof, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys/gals

I was tryin to look for a device that is able to change internet connection incase of down time. For example lets say my company has 2 Internet service providers one is using cable and the other is using DSL, if DSL goes down I want this device to switch to the cable connection in order to eliminate down time

Anywas if you guys know of any such devices please let me know thank you.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are ways of doing this - but exactly how depends on the exact problem, and the current kit in place.

You may have to replace some of the current kit, and the router required won't be cheap.

It is based on either the the line termination being in the router, so it can see the layer 2 going down, or on having a SNMP system of traps and controls that can do the same with diverse kit.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well the problem that I am thinking of is this, I am pretty sure that its not gonna be the ISP that will go down, but possible lets say the phone system in the company could go down, so if that happens then obviously the DSL connection will go down thats why I want to switch to the other Cable connection. This is my main thought for this situtation and thats why I want to provide this redundancy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA