1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Fedora Core 2

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi again,

Todays questions are.. modules and kernel compiling!

Firstly I run lsmod, after having done a complete total install of FC2 and see Bluetooth module loaded. Fine, I do not want/need that, so that will be the test module, so I use rmmod to remove it. After its dependencies have been removed, it goes! YAY

However I reboot and it appears again, so I look in my book and it says the conf for the modules are either /etc/modules.conf, which does not exist, or /etc/modprobe.conf, which does exist but contains only my network card and SCSI card modules. Where are all the other modules held?!

Secondly, the kernel! I do what it says in the book, create a symlink called /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-<kernel version>, run make mrproper, run either make menuconfig or gmenuconfig etc, and I pick my options. In my case all I did was remove sound modules and a few other pieces, nothing critical. I then run the make command (cannot remember it off hand), and am left with a bzImage file, which I copy along with System.map to the /boot directory, edit grub and then go back to the src directory and run make modules_install. I then reboot and it almost instantly causes a kernel panic!! I think I am missing a minute detail which the book is missing, so could a FC2 expert please fill me in on the exact steps to recompile the kernel so I can see where I am going wrong.

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hmm cant say ive ever tried it on anything other than gentoo unfortunatly mate

and thats a simple case of
    make menuconfig

make && make modules_install

cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.X-gentoo-rX
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.X-gentoo-rX
    cp .config /boot/config-2.6.X-gentoo-rX

reboot!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0