Help finding new job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Smorg, May 22, 2008.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi all
    I have been working as a Field Service Engineer for the past 2 years - this was my 1st IT job and basically it was repairing PC, laptops etc. Really enjoyed the job and it paid pretty good to. When I 1st got the job it was my intention to do it for a year to 18 months, study for certs and then start applying for other jobs etc. This never really happened as I got lazy I suppose and because I enjoyed the job wasn't looking too hard.
    Anyway, the contract was temporary and came to a sudden end! Not happy.
    So, now I'm looking for IT jobs but the only experience I have is the 2 years working with hardware. The very few Field Engineer jobs out there all ask for server/2003 experience which I haven't got. Even 1st line helpdesk jobs paying 14k are asking for experience in things I haven't done!
    Really don't know what to do. I want to get into networking but I have no way of getting a job down to lack of certs/experience.
    With the little experience I have, what do you think I should be looking at?
    Thanks a lot
    S

WIP: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Haven't you already asked the same question here?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think you need to be realistic, not to sound harsh, but you have one contracts worth of experience and no certs (or qualifications?).

I would dig around reed.co.uk for 1st line support roles, living near you i know there were a few going in last couple of weeks, im in a contract so would have applied for one of the other roles going.

I would use the time off to get as far into the A+ as possible, also in the city centre there is a IT recruitment firm near orchard square, also "a for appointments" (Near uni of sheffield) is worth ringing (as they had an IT managers role i liked the look of lol).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Yes i agree with Notes_Bloke.

You have already raised the same thread but different title here:-
    Where to go next?!?

On Friday 16th May 2008...
    with some good advice from BM, Chopperchand and fasttracksteve!:blink

Is there any point in raising another thread with the same questions?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Well you've two years experience in a field service engineer role so that should go in your favour, providing you know how to market yourself, strength of your CV, etc.

A lot of positions are asking for Server 2003 knowledge, even 1st line support, but I would imagine that it's only basic administration knowledge they're after (especially for 1st line), i.e. creating users/resetting user passwords in AD. That kind of thing you can teach yourself at home, do what I'm doing and build your own server (you can download evaluation ISO's from Microsoft) so that you at least have an understanding of it).