1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help concerning "line vty" command

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Raider, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Raider

Raider Bit Poster

hey guys
    i hope you are all fine. I am a bit confused about the line vty context setting command. For example

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fred(config)# line vty 0 7
    Fred(config-line)#
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does line vty 0 7 mean that any commands i give from here will configure all lines from 0 to 7 or just line 7. I think its the range from 0 to 7 but wana be sure. Plus, if its not the range and it will let me configure only line 7 then it means if i want to configure line 0 then i should enter line vty 0 0 right?

thnx a bunch...

P.S. Its concerning IOS in switching

2. rowlando

rowlando Bit Poster

I thought lines 0 to 7 too, but when i checked the cisco site it says this

"Use the line vty line_number [ending_line_number] command to enter line configuration mode. The new prompt means line configuration mode. The following example shows how to enter line configuration mode for virtual terminal line 7:

Switch(config)# line vty 0 7"

Doesnt sound quite right to me....

Certifications: JNCIA-FWV, LPIC 2, SCSA, CMA, 70-271
    WIP: 70-272
  3. Raider

Raider Bit Poster

Thanks but still boggled though....anyone else!

4. Raider

Raider Bit Poster

Doesnt sound right to me as well but i have been searching the web for an explanation and i have come to the conclusion that first param is the line number if you use it without the second optional param, which if used, specifies a range of inclusive lines to be affected. Also, CISCO needs to proof read their documents. I have a study guide from CISCO press and i have found 2 major errors in it so far:x.

If i am wrong please correct me....i need other opinions as well and in the mean time i will keep searching....

5. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Raider, you're right, line vty 0 7 will put you in line config mode to modify lines 0 to 7. To modify only a single line just use:

#line vty 7 <-- modify only line 7

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  6. Raider

Raider Bit Poster

cheers spice....

7. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Yep, Spice is right..

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA