Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mateymate, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mateymate

mateymate New Member

Hello guys/girls

I thought I would introduce myself as I have just registered for the forum. Here is a bit about me career-wise:

I finished uni in the UK around 2006 and went straight into a job as a network admin, supporting around 30 users. This was a great graduate job but due to the ease and the recession I got quite lazy and spent a little too long there. I was there for 3-4 years and decided I needed a big change so headed to London for a more challenging role. I have been here for a year. I have most experience with Windows systems (2003 & 2008) and feel the MCITP certification would be the ideal step for me. I also have an interest in development and virtualisation, but the general day to day duties is basically Windows server 1st-3rd line support.

I am about half way through the 70-640 book and being busy at work it's hard to find time so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any decent courses in the London area? I have seen one for the Westminster college, they do 10 Saturday sessions for about £1400 so I was wondering if anyone had gone down this route, and if so what is a decent course?

Thanks

Edit: Ignore the question about Westminster college - just carried out forum search.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), personally with your experience you would be better off creating time to study at your own pace. All you'd need are the MS press books, VMware server - free, or Virtual PC from Microsoft for carrying out the hands on lab.

This way you'd save money and get the best out of your studies, but this can only be done by hard work and dedication as most people on this site have done it including myself.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Sounds like the MCITP is the perfect certification for someone with your experience.

I would always do the self-study route, but if you want to send the money on classroom courses I'd suggest you find a 3-day course per module.

College courses take a long time and unless you're studying throughout the week you may forget the information that was taught.

8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. mateymate

mateymate New Member

Thanks guys

I am already working through the first book and have VirtualBox set up with Server 2008R2 and a couple of XP workstations. I have looked at VMWare as it seems to be an industry standard but I always assumed you needed to spend big money on it. Is there an option for people like us, that aren't exactly using it to manage a company, but using it for educational purposes?

Thanks

7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010