Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Islands On The Coast, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Islands On The Coast

Islands On The Coast New Member

I came across this forum whilst googling reviews on the a+ via Home Learning College. Having already signed up to a £1700+ course, I have just this minute emailed a cancelation request within the cooling off period. The reason that I did this is due to the confidence I have gained in reading as little as three posts regarding 'self study'.

I plan to purchase the materials suggested by 'The Zig' inc Meyers AIO etc. I am a novice where hardware and repairs are concerned but have a good understanding of Windows. I am highly motivated to educate myself and I must admit I am excited about what I may learn over the next few weeks and months.

I have worked for the same company in Glasgow since I was 16 (Now 24) and despite the fact I started as an Office Junior, I am now the Operations and Transport Manager in a different department. I earn a good salary in this employment but the hours through our busiest times can be upwards of 70 hours per week. It is my aim to perhaps work towards becoming a IT Systems Engineer. Do you think this is possible whilst remaining in my current employment. If not, at what stage of gaining certifications should I look to get hands on experience.

Any comments are greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks

Robert

WIP: A+ (Self Study)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

You can study the entry level certs (the A+, Network+, MCDST) while in your current job. However the chances to move from your current job straight to IT System's engineer post, regardless of what certs you may have, without previous experience, realistically, is next to none.

By studying and learning the entry level certs, you should already be building up, at least basic experience - repairing and building home PC's and networks. Granted some companies may not see this as real world experience especially for posts that require experience, however it will count towards entry level posts.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  3. Islands On The Coast

Thanks for the feedback Ken.

It is my intention, over the next two years, to learn as much as possible and gain the certifications that you mention. When I am confident enough in my own abilities, I will perhaps volunteer to help out some local charities to get some more experience under my belt.

I guess I should be saving as much as possible just now to allow for the inevitable salary reduction I will suffer when I am brave enough to switch careers.

I am awaiting an Amazon delivery with my learning materials and hopefully it will arrive next week at some point. When I start building my first machine, should I be looking around some local computer shops for hardware and components or do you know any online stores.

Any help you can offer a nervous novice like myself would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Robert

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I sometimes use a cheapish online store like ebuyer, however if you want to grab yourself cheap or free parts/items you may want to check out the local computer fairs and sites like freecycle & free2collect.

In the summer you may even be able to grab old equipment from organisations like schools and colleges as that's when the refresh/renewal programs are done :)

If you can purchase it, the Microsoft Technet Plus subscription is very useful, see here and here for more info.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Islands On The Coast

Thanks for the welcome Nugget

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA