Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by beckyboo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. beckyboo

beckyboo Bit Poster

Hello I'm new! I am curently preparing to take my 601 exam, after taking an online mock and failing I thought I should get some other advice from people in the same position as me.

Any advice or tips would really be appreciated! :D

WIP: A+Essentials & Technician, MCSE
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

Welcome aboard :)..

if you have already done a mock try and study in the areas you are weakest

Mike Myers All in one also contains a few mock exams and gives you a run down on where you went wrong so you can at least go back and read up on those areas

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  6. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Welcome and good luck with your studies.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  7. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi & Welcome to CF :D

I'm new here also, but I can at least give you a small tip. I'm not sure wether or not your in an I.T related job at the minute but i'll make the assumption that you aren't (?) and heavily suggest you send your CV out there and ammend it by adding that you are studying towards A+ Certification. In regards to the mock exam you recently failed, don't let that dishearten you and as advised above, The books; Mike Myers All in One and Pc Tech Street Smarts (by James Pyles - The Admin here) are amazing books to have. Study harder and make notes of your weak areas and revise and brush up on your strong areas. Last of all, just keep reminding yourself that it will be all worth it in the long run :)

HTH :)
    ~Naive

WIP: MCDST
  11. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Hello and welcome :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  12. beckyboo

beckyboo Bit Poster

Hello again and thank you for all of the warm welcomes!

I am currently doing distance learning, not sure if I can mention the provider but in addition to their material I have the A+ for Dummies book but I think I will invest in the Mike Myers book too.
    However many times I read over my weak areas I cannot seem to remember it all!

I do work in IT, my collegue and I provide all support for our whole company which consists of 32 branches so I thought I had a good sound understanding of most things already! Obviously not!!

I have been tinkering with computers for about 10 years now but feel completely disheartened by my grasp on the whole course. I'm glad I can share my problems with other people now :(

WIP: A+Essentials & Technician, MCSE
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Becky,

I do support in Birmingham too... though it's not really a small place!

I would recommend you get your hand on the Meyers all in one first before judging what you've taken in from your current material. TPs often notoriously give out-of-date information (you are allowed to mention who you are with btw, we just advise not to slanderously flame them!)

The A+ for Dummies book is also reputedly *not that good* in terms of covering the material concerned.

If you've been tinkering for ten years, then you'll have a good base - the A+ just goes a bit more indepth than your average tech will go, hence it makes such a great intro course to hardware and software support. If you support users on XP, then if you go for the MCDST after the A+, you may find that an easier course to bear!

Good luck with your studies - badger me for advice if you want. I don't mind :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

You could maybe alter your studying technique. I usually read the whole book, then I decipher it chapter by chapter, not moving on to the next one until I'm completely confident of the first, then when I've finished the book, I then go back through it all and make bullet point notes of the important stuff I need to remember, that's tailored to me so i can soak the information efficiently.
    What you will find is that before you have even begun, you're already leaps and bounds ahead by having commercial experience, and although The only thing you know, is that you know nothing, you're in a great position to expand your I.T knowledge, you'll find a lot of experts on this forum from all walks of life/expertise. If you are simply stuck on something in your studies, this is certainly the forum to ask :D

Best of luck with everything.

~Naive

WIP: MCDST
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!