Hello, So what's the scrore?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 1DMF, Jun 1, 2009.

1. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

Hi,

Just joined, because everytime I try to find reviews or info on any of the major MS certification training companies, people just keep posting links to this forum.

So here I am, can you tell me why?

So are Computrain, Computeach, @dvent, Distance Learning College or any other any good?

Who's used them and what was your experience like.

All help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi

welcome to the forum. why not tell us something about yourself and what your aim is. Also all of these companies, espically advent, have been described at length, if you take a bimble over to the search function at the top of the page yo will liekly find all the info you need on training providers.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Basically my current employer has lied to me, stole from me and kicked me in the proverbial nuts!

I'm a self taught PC Engineer, DBA, Webmaster , SEO, programmer, Server Admin etc. etc..

However I don't have any qualifications, I want to leave, but many companies (for the type of job and salary I'm looking for), want MS quals or similar BSC, HND etc...

I have one O'level (Physics) and a BTech HNC (Business & Finance)

So I decided the only person that's going to help me, is me...

I originally thought I'd like to gain MCSE, but reading the Job spec for the role, looked pretty dull and I would likely get bored quickly (No offence MCSE holders, horses for courses and all that!)

So I spoke with Computrain and they suggested MCSD, which I am very much leaning towards, however, I've never done distance learning before, I don't have qualifications and I'm concerned about signing up for a 2 year course at £4,000.00 when i might not like it or perhaps might not be capable, who knows!

OK, Computrain have offered to throw in Project Manager course Free Of Charge and reckon, having spoken to me I should do the entire MCSD within 12months...

But I thought i might dip my toe in the water and just do MCDST first as it is part of MCSD anyhow.

But Computrain won't do that, they don't do modular , they do the whole lot and promise work placement in 3 months from qualifying or your money back. At the end of the day they are not a training school , just a glorified recruitment agency.

So I'm now looking at other companies and other methods to obtain MCSD + Project Managment but in a more modular, 1 step at a time basis.

So... Is that enough info to help me progress from here?

4. Gingerdave

Yeah, and for you I would say avoid the Training providers and just do the self study as the books are about £30 - 40 each and the exams about £88 you are going to save a lot of money. As it sounds like you have the experiance you probably wont gain much from their class room events, so I say, hit Amazon, get the books and go for it!

5. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

But if I do it that way, who's going to...

1. mentor me / tutor me
    2. help when I get stuck
    3. kick me up the behind when I'm slipping
    4. give me a job at the end

The missus has got BSC(Hons) and wants to add to it and gain Masters, she's been doing that home study through Open University and it's taken 10+ years and counting!

Home study isn't all its cracked up to be, I know from 1st hand experience.

i was hopping to find somewhere in the middle which was value for money, are you saying there isn't anywhere like that?

6. Gingerdave

Ok I will take your points in order

1) Here, this forum as there are members here who help write the technical books people study from, why read the book when you can go straight to the source?

2) See the above point

3) That service will be offered for a Fee (read beer) by some members :twisted:

4) No one can guarantee you that it is one you can take. Most of these places will say we have found you a job, it is in Plymouth, unfortunately you live in Edinburgh. By their terms they have found you a job, you however chose to turn it down.

That is pure marketing hype - don't buy into it.

If you are really concerned about slipping etc, why not look at local colleges as opposed to the TPs?

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No it is not, MCDST is desktop support based, MCSD is development. They are totally different tracks.

MCDST may be an elective for the MCSE, I have not checked.

Yes I would agree with your appraisal of the situation, IT training is big money, especially when there are so many out of work.

If you pay for a BSc or an MSc/MPhil there is a reasonable chance you will :-

1. Learn useful knowledge and skills few of the population have.

2. See your education retain its value over your career.

The same cannot generally be said if you hand over a large sum to a training provider.

As far as I was aware the MCSD track is now withdrawn, most of the exams expired March 2009.

Have you looked at foundation degrees and HNC/D's ?

Ultimately finding mentors is not easy, I've never really had one, I've had to do it largely off my own back for 18 years now, and I'm still doing it. I took a HND and obviously got a little help from the odd peer at work, but largely it is down to you.

8. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

Huh, I've been told by more than one training company that MCDST is part of what MUST be taken to achieve MCSD , apparently the one after MCDST which MUST be obtained is MCDBA , are you saying this is not true?

Infact are you saying i've been offered a qualification which doesn't even exist?

If this is the case i'm reporting them for fraud!

9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.
    If you need help just ask for it.
    Most users here will be more than happy to help you along the way.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MCDBA used to be one possible MCSD elective, it was not the only one and was not madatory as far as I know.

As always check the MS website if unsure. Why listen to a salesperson when the information is freely available ?

In anycase the MCDBA is most definitely withdrawn, nearly all the exams expired last year and the last few went in March 2009.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, like dmarsh already said, the MCDST is from the support side of IT. It can be used as an elective towards the MCSA, but it does not count towards the MCSE.

The MCDBA is for MS SQL 2000, many of the exams in this certification track retire in March 2009. The new ones for MS SQL 2005 & 2008 is MCTS/MCITP.

If you did want to go for your degree, I would strongly recommend you contacting your local college's/Uni's to see about gaining your HNC in Computing, then topping up to the BSc. You can do this over 4 to 5 years (depending if you attain your standard degree or Hons degree and if you do the standard amount of modules per year) 2 evenings week.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

I'm all a bit confused having come here, why do people keep saying things like
    I do not want MCSE, so MCDST being part or not part of MCSE is irrelivant. I want MCSD, but now you seem to say that doesn't exits and neither does MCDBA.

Does anyone know what Microsoft Certified Software Developer is really called or if it exists and what modules 70-xxx or what ever make them up?

I've been given the 70-xxx break down for what they have called them and what it accumilates to, but now I'm completly confused and disheartened.

Would it be easier if I posted the word doc they gave me and you can tell me what I need and if they are wrong from that?

I've just checked out Microsoft site and one of the elective modules is
    Well if MSDBA is no longer available, why would MS SQL 2000 , be an elective module.

This is all far too complicated :-(

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Look at this page :-

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx

I hope this clears things up for you.

Ultimately your education is in your hands, you cannot trust anyone, but yourself to make the right decisions.

How do you know you 'want MCSD' if you don't even know what it is ?

You must do your own research and make your own choices.

Everyone will have their own bias, even myself, though I give my advice for free and earn nothing from it or the certification or training industry.

14. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

Thanks but i'm none the wiser especially as it says
    yet on MS's website it still shows those modules as requisite, yet today is the 2nd June.

You know what, i'm not going to bother... looks like it's gonna take 6 months before everything sorts itself out, when the dust settles, I might look at it again.

I just wanted to do something simple, slowly, no hasle, doesn't look like it's currently possible.

Thanks anyway.

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

With that attitude I'm sure you'll go far in IT :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. 1DMF

1DMF New Member

What you talking about, I've worked in IT all my life, who the hell do you think you are giving me attitude because I decide I'm going to wait to get my stupid bits of papers.

You and this forum can go **** itself!

****ers!

17. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Micrsoft is still listing information on old cert paths like MCDBA, MCAD and MCSD. All these paths are effectively discontinued as was explained in my previous link.

I do not know their motivation for still listing them on their site, maybe its for recruiters to do research or whatever. People can still hold the credential, just new people can no longer obtain it.

Most of these pages now contain links to the newer certification tracks, if you spent some time browsing the MS site you would find their replacements.

Newer certification tracks have titles like MCTS, MCITP, MCPD etc.

If you looked on the certforums MCSD forum you will see MCPD mentioned in the title of the forum and also in many posts.

A mere five minutes goggling MCSD replacement or MCPD should also give you the answers you need.

However if you cannot be botherd to research the certification paths, what chance is there that you will bother to put in the required effort to learn the material ?

Best of luck. :D

19. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You kind of made Darkstars point for him.

How did your past employer lie and steal from you ?

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like you are very confused. A sales person won't tell you what you actually want they will tell you what makes them the most money.

MCDST is for people in IT support MCDBA is for database developers.The people on here know what they are talking about it would be a wise move to take a step back and listen to their advice. As said you should be looking at MCTS, MCITP, MCPD as the others are discontinued.

If you have self taught yourself in the past then why can't you do it for any certifications? A lot of people on here self teach themselves.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?