Hello fellow IT'ers

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by London_exile, Mar 22, 2009.

1. London_exile

London_exile Bit Poster

Hi,

Been working in various IT roles for about 8 years now. Have some academic qualifications; NVQ and HNC and some IT certs; Sec+ and a couple of security based ones, which in truth I've never used.

Anyway I'm now at a crossroads. Do I stay in IT and gain more certs or try something else?

Certifications: MBCS |A+ | N+ | S+ | CCSA | CFIA | CEH v7.1
    WIP: CISMP | CISM(A) | CISSP
  2. BuCki

BuCki New Member

Wellcome dude :)

U said, u did HNC... is it any good ?!

Certifications: MCDST & CompTIA A+ (hopefully)
  3. London_exile

London_exile Bit Poster

It was in Computing and Information Systems. I've used parts of it, like database design and some aspects of OOAD. Other than that not really. But it was a very good course though and I'm sure it helped get taken seriously when I wanted to get into IT without any real-world experience.

Certifications: MBCS |A+ | N+ | S+ | CCSA | CFIA | CEH v7.1
    WIP: CISMP | CISM(A) | CISSP
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Do what makes you happy mate. I love IT (Mainframe Shift Leader 10 years) and its the right career for me but a friend of mine hated it, retrained as a fitness instructor of all things and never looked back.

I love learning new things but I've got a goal in mind. I want to be an IT Security professional. I think having a goal is the best thing you can do. Do you have any idea what your ideal (realistic) job would be?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi there, welcome to the forums, what you do depends entirely on wha gives you the job satisfaction, you admitted there are certs and areas which you don't use, have you thought about maybe looking for a position which might utilize them?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do whatever you enjoy doing. If you enjoy IT, stay in it... if you don't enjoy IT, get out and do something else.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

True, or you may want to do something different in IT (eg tried of the tech side, move into a different field or move up the ladder into management, etc)... The choice is yours...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security