Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by big-jme, Jan 5, 2008.

1. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Hi there people,

Just thought i'd say a quick hello and Happy New Year to everyone. Just joined the site today. No IT background to speak of although i have just started studying towards my MCSE qualification so i feel i may need some of your knowledge and experience in the upcoming year.

Take care.

Certifications: CIW Associate
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi and welcome best of luck with your studies.

Certifications: A few.
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:) seeing as you don't have any IT background or experience the MCSE would not be a good choice in this case just yet. I'd advice you look into the self study route and start with the A+ cert by Comptia so as to have a better understanding of hardware and software operating systems.

If you decide to go with the A+ which would be a good choice in your case then all you need is one reasonable computer at least pentium 3 or above, the Meyer All in One A+ book and this forum if your stuck. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Welcome mate.

How are the studies going for the MCSE? Are you studying for the 70-270 just now?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome to CertForums. There's a rather lengthy debate currently going on about whether or not it's such a good idea for someone with no background in IT to study for the MCSE straightaway:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21953

Generally, the members of our forum recommend pursuing the A+ and Network+ as prerequisites for more advanced certifications. If you don't know basic hardware and networking, trying to understand the concepts and practices required for Microsoft server and infrastructure certifications might be quite difficult. Have a look at that thread plus visit the A+ and Network+ forums here on our site and let us know what you think. Cheers, mate. :D

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Heylo and welcome to CF

Yesterday we had this discussion about going straight into an MCSE qualification it is entirely upto you but i see it is as driving an artic truck with no driving experience, but that is up to you!

best of luck with your studies though!

Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Allow me to pile onto the "Pursue the A+ and wait on the MCSE until you get experience" crowd... you'll thank us for it later.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Just to clarify the MCSE qualification is the ultimate end goal of my studies. The units i'm studying are as follows:

CompTIA A+ Essential & IT Technician Exams 220-601 & 220-602
    Troubleshooting Microsoft OS & Desktop App Exams 70-271 & 70-272
    Windows XP & 2003 Server Exams 70-270 & 70-290
    Windows 2003 Active Directory Exam 70-294
    Windows 2003 Network Infrastructure Exams 70-291 & 70-293
    Windows 2003 Network Security Design Exam 70-298
    Exchange 2003 Exam 70-284

A lot of work ahead of me but should be a good challenge.

11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF! And good luck with the studies. Whats your timescale for completing all these? What previous experience do you have?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome,

Your Cert plan for the MCSE looks good, how long are you giving yourself to study and pass these exams. I'm on a similar route as you but i decided to get the Network+ also to increase my networking knowledge as it was very limited before.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As an "ultimate end goal", that's a great plan... but you should probably wait on the MCSE until you have a year of network and server admin experience... not a year in IT, but a year of that type of experience.

You might consider working the Network+ in there, either after the A+ or after the MCDST. You'll be glad you did. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Rough timescale is about 18-24 months. At the moment i just have moderate PC skills with no real experience in IT but i plan on just starting from the bottom and working my way up. All seems a bit scary just now, LOTS of reading to get through :blink but in a way i'm looking forward to it all.