Hello Everyone great to be here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Dark star1, May 20, 2009.

1. Dark star1

Dark star1 New Member

Hello to all

I am trying to find out why training providers charge way to much for IT Training than they should?

Please help

Kev

Certifications: MCSA MCITP MCT
    WIP: MCM
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Because they can.

People think that getting qualified in IT will get them big money straight away so these training providers pray upon this idea and charge big money for it.

And also not many people realise that you can actually get the books yourself and get certified on your own and the training providers know this too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome to the forum :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Commercial IT training has always been expensive in my experience. Commercial companies feed off of other companies annual training budgets, most staff have an annual training budget of around £2k (if they have one), so guess what one week of training generally costs ?

Its been this way ever since I entered IT back in the mid nineties.

Most training can be obtained in cheaper and sometimes more effective ways, books, CBTs, on the job mentoring, local tech colleges, user groups, the internet, webinars, conferences, etc.

Sometimes the training is worth paying for, a company implementing a new tech for instance, sends it staff on training.

Some people see the value in research and learning for its own sake and take large pay cuts to pursue MPhils or PhDs etc.

Some even pay £30k for MBA's from universities with the right titles.

In my opinion a meritocarcy would be good, so education should be for all. Therefore anything worth knowing should be in one or more books or journals within reason and therefore available to those that truly want to gain that knowledge. This pretty much is the case for most subjects in most western countries.

I really cannot see any real reason for people to be complaining about lack of affordable learning resources for most IT subjects today.

Can you be more specific ? Who do you think is charging too much and for what ? If its too expensive for your tastes the choice is simple, don't buy it.

6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Totally agree with Mr Marsh. Even the £17 Exam Cram 2 books come with a digital copy of the book and a mock exam engine for you to test your knowledge. If you shop on eBay you can pick up the books you need to self study for buttons. You still have to pay for your own exams but a lot of courses are just that, the course, not the exam so you'd have to pay for that anyway, if you wanted to get the piece of paper that is.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

I used Exam Cram 2 books before passing A+ first time 3 years ago.
    It may just be a case of finding out which method of study is best for you.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+