Hello everybody

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by malik06, May 16, 2005.

1. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

I joined up yesterday, so I thought I'd say hello. :D

I did a tiny bit of BASIC programming on the old IBMs in secondary school when you still loaded DOS from a floppy everytime you booted up. I also studied a bit at uni on some fundamental stuff like sorts and a bit of assembly language and Pascal. That was about 15 years ago now. How time flies. :ohmy

Haven't done too much with computers since then besides use them to browse the web and for email, but I think I've still got the aptitude for the field, so I recently decided to start some training and get in the game.

I signed up with Computeach about 10 weeks ago :dunce and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse now, based on errors and inconsistencies in the material and all of the horror stories I'm reading in this forum, but I'm locked in now, so there's no point in crying over it. I'll do the best I can with what they provide (and any other materials I find useful and acquire independent of them).

I'm glad I found this forum, and I hope the feeling will be mutual. :D

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Just post away if you need any advice :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings Malik06. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome Malik06 - helpings what we do here. Enjoy :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums Malik, and good luck with your course!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

Thanks everybody. :D

I'm signed up now with Computeach for programming in VB.NET and Java, but after some of the stuff I've read over the last couple of days, I wonder if I should switch to something more basic like an A+ cert to start up with.

Does anybody have any advice about the best thing for a newbie to study to get started in the IT field? Any input appreciated.

malik06

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It really depends. Sounds like you want to learn programming and you don't really need to be able to repair or maintain PCs to do that. IT is really more than one thing. People who are into the hardware and networking tend to go for the A+, Network+ then Cisco and/or Microsoft route. Of course you could be in web design and never open up your box or do programming and be in the same boat. Technically, it's all "IT", but there are a variety of paths.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.
    Glad you're keeping a posistive outlook on things. As you've seen from the forum, there is always a mixture of good and bad feedback on courses and I guess the only important thing is your own personal experience - not what may have gone wrong for someone else.
    BASIC eh? I think it should make a comeback. Things are far too complicated now.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD