Hello certforums... me and my deliberations

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mattshort, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mattshort

mattshort Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Having read some of the posts here and seeing how friendly and helpful everyone was, I thought I'd sign up :biggrin ...

After spending most of my life playing with MS PCs and networks, and graduating in Computing (BSc) last year, I'm now looking into doing an MCSA/E 2003. Without any professional experience however, I'm unsure whether the MCSE would be suitable - or can it be 'learnt' from scratch?

Thanks for reading... any thoughts?

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

welcome, mattshort.
    anything can be learnt from scratch, (okay, almost), it just depends how much time, effort, and money you are willing to spend on it. still, professional experience is and will remain an important part of it. you can compensate a little technical experience by building and working in your own lab (with a couple of low end pc's), but that won't be enough. usually the mcse track is best learnt by doing it all in real life.
    still, you'll have to start somewhere. set your goals low at first and just do one or two entry level mcp exams that you can use later as credit on your mcse track. see how that goes, and take it from there.

3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi Matt, welcome to CF. MCSE can be learn't from scratch but personally I wouldn't recommend it. I would possibly go with d-Faktor on this one and start with something to bolster your knowledge with like the CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams or if your wanting to go down the MS route maybe the MCDST cert. MCSE is 7 exams and might be a bit difficult if you haven't got any hands on experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, mattshort. Welcome to CertForums. I'd have to say that the MCSE would be a pretty ambitious project to learn from scratch. Not that it can't be done, just that a great deal of hands on experience is normally required to be able to master all of the exams involved. I would say that it might be best to combine your studies with some real world experience. A home lab helps, but nothing replaces an actual production environment.

All that being said, I hope we can help you out in your pursuits. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't see anything wrong with the advice given above so I'll just say welcome.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Matt - welcome from me too. Good to have you on board :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Just to add my welcome as well :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong