Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by trislloyd, May 24, 2005.

1. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Just thought i'd say hi and introduce myself! I'm currently a first level I.T Tech (yes, i get to do all the running around!), because there is only me and the I.T manager at my company i get involved in everything I.T. From teaching people how to use certain programs to networking, cabling, repairing, and everything else! All for £13,000 a year! The thing is, this is my first proper I.T job so the way i see it i'm getting valuable experience, it looks good on my C.V, and i have done a lot worse, this comes fairly easy to me so i don't think it's such a bad deal! I would like to say something about training (without waffling on!) - I had a student loan in order to pay £4,000 grand or thereabouts for my MCSE, including cisco firewall specialization. My training provider went into liquidation before i had finsihed my course. This left me and many other students with an outstanding student loan and no qualifications to show for it! Luckily, i got my job through sheer hard work, so my company were fine about this! The training provider then continued trading under a different name (very dodgy!!!) went to citizens advice and to the family solicitor and they all said i didn't have a leg to stand on and i was still liable for the student loan. Either way, i have been working with computers most of my life, either in a professional capacity or from home so i figured i had enough knowledge to get me through the exams anyway! I have obtained all the free stuff i can get my hands on - free practice exams and stuff. I have also invested in a few books (the exact same books that my training provider was charging me £4,000 for - retail price about £50 each!) It is costing me about £100 per exam with prometrics. I have just passed the 70-270 with flying colors, i have a couple more exams coming up soon and i will keep you all posted. I suppose the point is this- be a bit vary of microsoft training providers who are after your money because if you have enough knowledge you can probably put yourself through the exams on your own and it won't drain your bank account of £4,000!!! Also, get yourself a cheap computer that you can get your hands dirty with - get to know what you are working with and you can't go wrong! I always think it's better for someone to do things themselves than just be told what to do, cause they are bound to forget what they have been told! Anyway, enough from me, that was quite an introduction!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome trislloyd, and thanks for the intro. Some great advice there - you seem to be off to a flying start. Hope you enjoy CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hiya, fellow newbie,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the training :( I've been doing my MCSA this time using ICS - you just get dumped in the deep end with the course material and get very little help but at least I got all the materials in one go. It might have been a bit of small comfort for you if your provider worked in the same way?

Anyway, good luck with your studies and I look forward to you announcing when you pass your last MCSE exam!

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, trislloyd. Welcome to CertForums. Sounds like you are getting terrific experience at your current job. Even though your actual pay may not be much, the experience and training you are getting there will pay off in the long run. I can only imagine you'll have a great deal to contribute to the rest of us and I hope we can lend a hand to you as well. Glad you found the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings trislloyd :D

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Wow, that was quite the intro. :D Welcome to CF, glad to have you here. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF trislloyd, some sound advice there :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.
    Sounds like you've got plenty of experience there!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Hope to see you around the forum often :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong