Hello All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TheKnowledgeable, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TheKnowledgeable

TheKnowledgeable New Member

Hi Boys and Cheeks or is it girls! ;).. I'm just joining the forum, and wanna shout HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO! did everyone hear! lol.

Ok, to something else: yes, I'm about to complete MCDST, and would be going on to something more advaced later. Have thourough understanding of all most all Windows OS inc Vista, XP, 2000, abit on MAC, Unix and Linux, so perhaps will contribute if needed. E.g dual booting Vista and XP.....problems?....can be sorted.

A fair bit of networking knowledge too. I'm sure i will learn alot too. so a big hello to you all.............................................

:onthePC:juggle:newbie:smile-l

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. TheKnowledgeable

Thanks all, for welcoming me. Ok just got back on the forum today, ...A question for the experts...when jobs ask for experience, does it have to be like x many years experience, or does your daily usage and learning experiences count?...

E.g you are MCDST, but do you have experience?..... Ans yes, done this, replaced hard drives, LCD Screen ,set up user accounts in the house and for friends...bla bla bla does that count as experience?.

- I mean what are employers loking for in real terms when they say experience?

Thanks

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Relevant Real-world experience (being employed in such a position). You can still mention personal experience, but it isn't as highly valued.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome to the Forums:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. BosonMichael

Real-world experience, doing IT as a job for a company. Not "messing around on your family's PC's at home" or "working on computers in a school lab environment". As Qs mentioned, it's worth mentioning and can be helpful, particularly for jobs where no experience is required. But it's not experience, and real-world experience will always win out over school training lab experience or home use experience.

If you have the MCDST, that's great. But that's just a certification... it's not experience.

If you have a degree, that's great. But that's also not experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. TheKnowledgeable

Thanks for the replies. Yes, real world experience counts, but its so difficult to get a job even for graduates, without experience. And yet, equally you cannot get experience without work! Thats crazy, but unfortunataly thats how it is. There must be some solution to this sort of problems, got to work through it :(:

11. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It is sometimes hard to find your first entry level job, but it can be done and you will get there. One way for you to build some experience, is to do voluntary work in an IT enviroment. Also you could write to local businesses asking if they have an entry level job? Lots of businesses don't always advertise externally.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  12. BosonMichael

That's why you start at the bottom, with an entry-level job - by definition, a job in which you ENTER the field... which does not require experience. If a job requires experience, it's not an entry-level job.

13. TheKnowledgeable

Hey, cool guys...(oh yes, and the cheeks too if they are here, lol)... good to know people are supportive. Sometimes, you feel: i have done all the hard graft for nothing:x, then you think...hmm yeah true, but i have done that hard graft....but job ......>>>>>>>>go through the motions, Nice now you have interview.....Interviewee: You are good, hey alot of knowledge blablabla...Then comes the bad news, but you dont have experience......we cant take you go home. One part of you feels like saying "you bitch, you have no idea what i can do, let me first do it."

Then you feel like a loser for having said that to a girl, lol.....Then you tell yourself...man dont be rude....bad boy....then you say ok, i will try again. I guess thats all you can do. (all this is just imagination!..i haven't done it practically, before someone goes gosh!)

PS: To all no offense is meant (just in case someone took any offence for my chickiness!), but i guess thats how some people like me would feel, when you know you can do it, but you are just not ALLOWED to. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...Oh by the way, girls are beautiful, and also...open to your imagination.lol

14. BosonMichael

Well, look at it from the employer's perspective... if you were them, would you let someone without experience loose in your network environment, particularly when there are experienced people available?

Build the experience, one step at a time, and you will eventually work your way up to bigger and better things. Might seem unreasonable to you now... but you'll understand the reasoning behind it when it's YOUR network that you're hiring someone to help administer. ;)

15. TheKnowledgeable

Yes, in a way i agree with your point, but i just feel i should be an exception because i know VVVVVVVV well all the stuff and can do it. Jus:argue:hug:hhhmmm:unsure:aaaht need to keep hunting i guess:aaah

This forum has nice smilies, congrats to the creators!

16. BosonMichael

Although you might indeed be an exception, just about EVERYONE starting out in IT believes they are an exception. :)