Have you ever...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Jan 1, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Downloaded an interesting document off the internet to read at a later date and can never find it afterwards because you've saved it in a really obscure place or couldn't be bothered at the time to rename it to something meaningful that can be found instantly afterwards.

I'm the same with internet bookmarks. I think I've saved them to the correct folder on my favourites and do you think I can find them afterwards? Yeah right. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You can always search for a document by date rather than name. I try to organize my bookmarks so I can find them later but you're right...sometimes they get "lost". The only way I've found to manage that is to open "Manage Bookmarks" (firefox), expand everything and go through them all one at a time.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I think being organised is actually a little boring, most of my life I've strived to be more organised, but just lately I think, let's just let chaos reign for a little while. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As I've gotten older, I have started measuring activities in terms of the "hassle factor". I'm more likely to seek out activities and practice certain habits to reduce the hassle factor in my life. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm much like Trip in this respect. The older I get the more I tend to try to make things easier on myself. I have 20+ categories that I save bookmarks under. It's actually taken me a couple of years to figure out a system in which everything is findable, but I rarely lose a bookmark any more. As I have around 300 bookmarks saved having a classification system is a real necessity.

If the link is Security related it is filed under Security. If it is related to books I want to purchase or sites for researching books it's under Books. If the link is related to scripting or programming it's filed under Scripting, no matter what the language. If the link is related to employment I have a category called Job Hunting that I use. I also have a Miscellaneous category which is a sort of catchall for links related to just general browsing, sports, the weather, etc.... Anyway that's a small idea as to how I categorize links and it works really well for me. I might forget about a link I've saved, but if I remember what a link is about I can find it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. shambles

shambles Guest

I write my bookmarks in a book. Does anyone remember them? A bit like a PDA but made of trees (I think)... I figure this is a good idea because it's about the only time I actually get to write anything nowadays, and I think that it might be a useful skill to hang on to, just in case... :blink

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have an answer for you - Tablet PC's! :p

8. shambles

shambles Guest

How do they manage to fit so much Evil into such a small (but perfectly formed) space?

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm terrible with digital photos.
    I bung them all in a folder without re-naming them or anything.
    So when I want to find the nice one we took at Xmas I have to look through loads until I find 'ED100453393'.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I did the Prince2 practitioner exam last year...... a 3 hour hand written exam :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i haven't written so much since college, i was lucky they could even read half of it

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade