Have You Ever Been To A LAN Party?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Nelix, Feb 4, 2004.

?

Have You Ever Been To A LAN Party?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
  1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Have You Ever Been To A LAN Party ?

If so, what was it like and would you attend another?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've been attending LAN Parties since i was about 15, started helping out with Multiplay UK events (back then they were small and cosy, 50 people tops) great fun, however MPUK went the money route and now runs huge 800 player events for cash prizes and such, wrong sort of croud to have much fun
    i moved onto RoWeb which was spun off from one of the guys at MPUK, however that has also seemingly died of late, not many events the last year, a few large 250ish events i helped manage went down well though

i stick to the smaller ones, there is a good community spirit out there, and most of the smaller ones down south attend each others events, its a good vibe, and all a great laugh

started my own one with some friends now using some nice high end cisco kit we got for certification, ;)

so in brief, yes I have, yes i would, and if you actually play computer games i would recommend the event to all, if you dont, theres not much point, except the copious ammounts of beer and likeminded people :) (unless ofcourse, you dont play games, then just beer)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've never heard of one until now! :eek: Do you have any pics?

@Nelix, are you thinking of organising one?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Same as Si never heard of it until reading this.

Sounds interesting though.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sad very, very sad :wink:

When I was young we went to parties got drunk and l.........d

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have been at LAN parties but not as a player. Occasionally, when a class would end, the instructor would allow the students to have a LAN party on the last day. Plenty of pizza and soda to go around but I don't game so I'd just hang out with a few of the other students while the majority of kids played.

It's a little frightening. There you have 20 people or so all glued to their computers, staring at their monitors, trying to kill the other players in some first-person shooter game like Half-Life or Unreal Tournament. It reminds me of that famous photo from the cover of Life magazine taken in the late '50s where the photographer took a picture of a movie audience all wearing 3D glasses and watching the film. They all look like zombies.

Since I have absolutely zero interest in gaming, I can say that I wouldn't attend a LAN party unless somehow compelled. JMHO.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not been, but I do like the sound of the general party atmos, even tho like Trip, I do zilch gaming.

The beer sounds good, tho... :alc

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Used to play Age of Empires with a few mates, but didn't know it was calleda LAN party. We thought it was called playing Age of Empires with a few mates.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've never been to one, but has anyone seen that video on the internet? It was some sort of gaming LAN party and one guy got caught cheating, so they grabbed his comp took it outside and proceeded to trash it.

It made me think, is the video for real or was it just staged?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

probably staged, never heard of that happening, usually just lots of abuse shouted and he gets kicked off the server,
    we do like to break up old monitors and PCs with sledge hammers and stuff though, quite amusing ;)

12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

No.

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds like fun, I'm sure its not just me thats wanted to do this before :hammert

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...