Hardware issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Oct 8, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Si my laptops in for repair at lenovo as its under warranty, the invertor has packed up, the screen lights up for a few seconds when booting, then goes dim, i could set it up to a TV, and i get my screen back etc, but as its a laptop, this is not practical.

One thing that is baffling me is that lenovo are asking for bios passwords to fit this invertor. They claim they need acccess but im not so sure. Or am i missing something?? Im sure all the invertor does is provide the power/signal to the backlight? If this is the case then why would they need a bios password as its not going to make any difference in the bios set up.

Or is it???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My guess is that they have a standard process they follow, as well as installing the inverter they'll flash the BIOS etc and reset everything to factory defaults.

Many of the big hardware suppliers do the same thing.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, they wouldn't want to cut all power (inc. bios battery) whilst working on it when the BIOS has a password - they'll want to factory default it (to be absolutely sure that it'll reboot fine when all re-assembled).

Nothing to be paranoid about, I'd say...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Possibly want to upgrade your firmware mate, just give them it so you can get it back I'd say.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs