hang around like a bad smell?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by veloce, Nov 11, 2010.

1. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Guys,

the company I work for are making the switch to a HP service contract mid-January.

Any hardware thats non-HP will be replaced and any hardware meeting a certain (HP - decreed) spec will be "refreshed".

Its not a massive office here (being a satellite), 15-20 users (inc laptops), around 10-15 printers, scanners etc.

My question is, would it be advantageous for me to offer to assist the HP bods during the move,so I can get some hands-on experience?

It will be done after office hours ( so I'm told) so technically its my own time, not the companies.

Any thoughts, or would it be a waste of my time?

Thanks

Declan

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Don't see what harm it would do, when I've done roll outs in the past i've always been grateful to have someone from the actual department there to ask questions and guide to the best location for a piece of kit.
    Giving someone I.T orientated on the ground a quick brief on what I'm actually doing and why I'm doing it always pays dividends as well when it comes to fault finding at a later date. Nothing worse than trying to fault find over the phone when the only thing the users on the ground seem to have been known shown is an obscure network diagram by their management.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

At least you can say you assisted in an IT roll out. Being familiar with what they have installed and why could have its benefits especially if its something you are interested in.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

100% help out as it will give you great experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011