Guidance with A+ exam - timewise

Discussion in 'A+' started by IT2009, Oct 18, 2009.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

To summarise all I read elsewhere and here -
    new book on Amazon is due on 1st March 2010
    old exam is sunning until July 2010

My plan was to start studying A+ as soon as possible and in the same time apply for jobs. Got already HND in BIS and MCP from before.
    How long does it take to prepare for this exam (considering that I have recently finished studies in BIS).
    Is it worth for me to wait until March for new materials to study or it is waste of time?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No one can tell you how long it will take you to prepare for the exam.

If you want to get the A+ out of the way why not go for the current 2007 exams since it doesn't matter which version you get to employers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Which new book? AIO? Last I heard it was meant to be out round about now (according to the author, but that was back in june I think).
    Old exam retires Feb 28th. Maybe. In America it does, non-English exams have been set back until Aug 31st. No one round here is quite sure where non-American English speaking exams fit into the picture yet.

Anyway, my advice is: go for the 2007 now. You'll knock that out before the exam retires ( and probably before Christmas) if you work as hard as you need to. I did it in about the same timescale coming from an advanced/power user background so it should be a lot easier for you.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thank you for replies. Sorry was relaying on forums Soundian, thanks, you were right "The English version of these exams will retire in the U.S. and Canada on February 28, 2010." according to CompTIA web site. CompTIA old exam info so probably UK as well.

I think I will start tackling the old version immediately as waiting for new one is waste of time for me as I am applying for jobs.
    As for a new book (AIO from Meyers) I checked today on Amazonuk and it said there 1st March 2010.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  5. Gordon Brittas

Gordon Brittas New Member

I've just ordered this - CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) (Paperback) from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/047048649X/ref=sib_rdr_dp

As far as I'm aware it is the most up to date current for A+ 2009 objectives which i'm studying for (I expect to sit the 2 exams after feb 2010)

WIP: A+ 220-701, A+ 220-702
  6. Gordon Brittas

Gordon Brittas New Member

I've just ordered this - CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) (Paperback) from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...ref=sib_rdr_dp

As far as I'm aware it is the most up to date current for A+ 2009 objectives which i'm studying for (I expect to sit the 2 exams after feb 2010)

WIP: A+ 220-701, A+ 220-702