Greetings Fellow IT Lovers! ^_^

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mr.Kamwah, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Hi all, this is my first post on CertForums.

I'm 18 and i have an active interest in IT and im going to start making the first steps towards A+ pretty soon. I've already started studying for it using Mike Meyer's A+ AIO(6th Edition).

I've read a couple of other introduction threads and i think i might be the only one who hasn't actually got any work experience in IT but i'm not too worried. The only experience i have is home-based, setting up the network in my house between about 5 systems. I also built my current computer (specs are in my sig) so apart from that i'm pretty much a noob as you might say :rolleyes:

Seeing as this is a UK forum i assume it'd be a good thing to ask if anyone has offered there services to local IT businesses and/or charities free of charge? I plan on doing this and was wondering if it was a good idea as it would get me experience while also helping someone else.

Awaiting your replies. :biggrin

WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate, nice introduction.

You seem to have your head screwed on well for someone so young and yes your idea to do voluntary work is a sound one. Good luck with your studies for the A+ 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Welcome to CF. Good luck with the A+ its a good entry level cert.

I'm sure your not the only person on these forums with no experience in IT, this is a great place to learn and the forum users offer very good, helpful advice.

I haven't offered my services for free, however that may be a good way of gaining a little experience. It may also be worthwhile trying to seek work experience in a IT support role for a few weeks as this will allow you to shadow experienced technicians.

4. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I did think of the possibility of work experience but i've never heard someone who isn't backed by a school/college/university getting work experience. I wondered who'd be liable if i made a mistake even tho i know they wont ask me to do anything that challenging and i'd be supervised most probably.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could volunteer your services for a charity and work there on the weekends whilst your studying to get experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forums- there are plenty of people that are either in your situation or were recently.
    The only way you'll get experience is to get out there and offer your services :)

7. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: N+ MCSA
    WIP: Exchange
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you think you're the only one, just remember, none of us had any experience when we were starting out in IT! By definition, it's not possible. :)

Although the forum is based in the UK and has many UK members, there are people on here from throughout the world. :)

You can certainly offer your services free of charge to get some experience. The trick is finding someone to take you on. Preferably, you should charge businesses for your services (though providing services for free to charities is certainly worth doing).

Eh? Most of us weren't backed by a school/college/university. After all, it's not required that you go to school, have certifications, or get a degree before working in IT.

Who would be liable if you make a mistake? You, my friend. But don't let that paralyze you... we've all made mistakes.

An employer might not ask you to do anything that challenging... but they might. And you might be supervised... and you might not. But instead of assuming things you're not sure of, why don't you just get an entry-level IT job and see what it's like? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

lol now now Michael, i may be young but i have learnt that its preferable if i get paid for my services although i would wrather be paid for doing nothing but that is the evil dream of us all. :twisted:

True, im going to get my A+/IT Technician exams done and then i'll figure out what to do after that.

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

No its not... I'd be bored witless and would drive people insane.

No reason not to start looking before you've finished the A+, I got my first (and still current) IT role with no qualifications at all (the AS in Art and A Level in Media Studies weren't that helpful). All you need to get your first job is a CV, covering letter, confidence and a ****e load of perseverance.

Get out there and make some noise.

oh and Welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10