Greetings All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by EMacd, Feb 26, 2005.

1. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Introduce myself?

hmmm...

Well...

What to say?

I work for a cooncil in Scotland running around schools taking chewing gum out of cd drives or patiently explaining to teachers that there is not infinite space on the server (Netware for those of you who are interested) and if you don't delete some of the gigabytes you have in your personal folder then I'll do it for you.

Basically all the usual fun and games of any net admin with school kids thrown into the bargain.

Recently I realised that I have absolutely no qualifications for what I'm doing. I've been playing lan games with mates for years as well as building PCs so I can ad hoc quite well and know my way round the guts of a PC. I've come from an electronics background through Uni but couldn't get an electronics job - can't speak Tiawanese.
    So here I was doing research about distance learning (haven't got the willpower for self learning) and surfed in here, raided the forums, overloaded with info, signed up with the NITLC and decided to hang my hat here for a while. The view is nice and the inmates are a friendly bunch :biggrin

I'd better duck for cover now while the ducking is good.

Cheers

Euan.

2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Now then Euan, welcome to the madhouse, sorry, forums.

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Bloody nice intro there Euan :D

Right, nae danger - grab a bottle o' buckie, yer cert-daft obviously, so 'moan - get tore intae the site.

Oh, and good luck with the certs :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Euan. Welcome to CertForums. Sounds like you have plenty experience for a guy who says he has "absolutely no qualifications". Sounds like your quals are from the "school of hard knocks".

I meet so few NetWare gurus. I only mention this because among other things, I am involved in a small partnership with a Novell guru. No, I know almost nothing about Novell, but I do play around with the apps that are used in the Novell Linux Desktop 9 so we have some common ground.

Glad you like the forum. I hope we can help you in your pursuits and with your background, I'm sure you can give the rest of us a hand as well. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum mate. Now that you're in there's no out door here.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Yup, you can checkout anytime you want, but you can never leave!! [​IMG]

Welcome to the forums mate, good luck with the studies. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A big CFwelcome Euan, theres plenty fellow scots on the boards so make yourself at home and while your here can you help me translate Jaks post. !! :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Are we now multilingual? Can anyone supply a translator. I haven't a clue wot Gav said, then again what's new ?

Anyway welcome to the boards

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

What can I say?

Thanks for the greetings, makes me feel at home. Is is just me or is there a warm smell of colitas rising up through the air?

"Right, nae danger - grab a bottle o' buckie, yer cert-daft obviously, so 'moan - get tore intae the site."

A quick translation for those - I was going to say south of the border but realised I should say those ootside Scotland.

"Greetings and welcome, have a glass of extremely strong tonic wine and feel free to peruse the forum at your leisure as it obvious that that is what you're here for."

I have to admit that I'm learning Novell, Groupwise and Zenworks on the job. I was given 4 days training on Novell 6.5 (building a server) when I started but only two of our schools are running 6.5, the others are a mix of 4 and 6 so it will be some time before I've worked out the differences. But I'm learning and not always :cussing

True to style, the cooncil provided training on an OS that will be rolled out over the next two years (we have 107 schools, all different, all wanting their own customisations so it takes a while to replace all the servers), but nothing on what is currently being used. I talk the ears off my senior on a regular basis.

Ach weel, I've only killed one server so far. If I keep it at one I'll be happy.

Cheers

E.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!! :biggrin Nice one Euan - with so many Scots joining us here lately, it's getting like the Clearances never happened !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. AJ

WTF :blink:eek::blink:eek:

I need a drink :biggrin

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I need an aspirin AJ. And I thought German was hard to decipher.:eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. AJ

2 asprin on the way *toss*

14. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF EMacd, and enjoy your stay here. (:

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE
  15. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hooray, another guy who deals with that lovely mix of novell, students and teachers!!
    We have just gone Novell 6 / 6.5 with the web add-ons (ifolder etc) here, so if you need someone to bounce ideas off, feel free. What exam track are you going down?
    Jamin.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  16. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Hi all,

Jamin - it's nice to know that there are others out there who know and understand that it is quite impossible to teach anything to teachers as they know it all (tongue firmly in cheek)

I'm going down the A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA route but if I stick in the current job then I might consider throwing in a CNE as well if I can find enough bits to build a box to stick Novell on. Or 'borrow' one from work :tune

I was told the other day that work is putting me through an MCDST at the end of March, so I'll keep you posted on that.

It's shaping up to be a bit of a busy year. :D

Cheers

E.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry I am late, just wanted to say high and welcome to the board 8)

Is Jak really Rab disguised as an Armadillo? :blink

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Welcome EMACD,

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP