Greetings all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by karnage, Feb 20, 2008.

1. karnage

karnage New Member

Hi guys.

I'm a newbie and have a few questions (sorry its a bit lengthy).

1.I spoke to a 'consultant' about taking a MCP course. Its the MCSA and MCDBA certification together. He said Id have to take out a CDL. He also said that after training they would place me into a job within three months and if they didn't I would have to pay back nothing. Does this seems fishy?

2. He mentioned a starting salary of 18-25k. If I were to volunteer to gain some experience whilst studying would it be realistic to expect to find a job with that salary after my exams?

Thankyou for your time

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Have a look through the forums here - you will see that this is a common sales ploy, and the conditions around both job and money offers are usualy so tough few people meet them!

A lot of these certs can be achieved a lot cheaper by doing home study, and plenty of practice. Along with asking questions here, of course.

Note that a MCSA is expected to have had considerable experience *before* taking the exams.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

1. Don't believe the 'consultants' they are sales people. And yes it does sound fishy, always read the small print and pay attention to how they word it.

2. Starting salaries start from £10k upwards, just look in your local/national papers, on average they start from £12k-£14k. As for finding a first job starting at £18k with a couple of certs and some volunteer experience, well it's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Yes it does sound fishy very very fishy.

MCSA candidates should have 6months to a years experience in Network administration.

If they don't get you a job if/after you pass they will probably show you some small print that will say something like "you do not live within our required geograhical area and therefore do not qualify for our job scheme" or something like that.

As for the CDL you WILL have to pay it back regardless of what happens.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes.

£12-15k

8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. karnage

karnage New Member

Thanks alot guys. That seems more like it. About how many years in the field would it take to get to the 35-40k+ mark?

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums... :sunny
    The above-given advice sound right...

The good news is you asked for advice from experienced folks before handing away your money. That's a good start to making a sound decision.

8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's years + position + skills. A person can have 10 years of IT experience but only at level 1 (helpdesk), that person isn't going to see £35k-£40k unless he/she takes a loan out or wins the lotto. It really depends on you.

I have a good few years behind me + I'm an IT manager + see my skill sets (in my sig), but I haven't passed the £25k mark at my place of work (I could if I changed employers though). So like I said, it really depends on you.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There isn’t really an answer for that question mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said - excellent advice given.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF

Ditto!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Depends on the person and the opportunities really. I've been in IT for about 3 years and broke the 20K barrier about 6 months back. Other people have been doing it longer than me, and still on only 15K.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I started out on 10k six years ago and it took me till a year ago to break into the 20k bracket.:rolleyes:

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA