1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gratuitous ARP

Discussion in 'Networks' started by george_gp, Jul 17, 2009.

1. george_gp

george_gp New Member

Hello,

I have the following question.

A windows machine, when starting it will broadcast 3 Gratuitous ARP packets.

These packets are broadcasted to all networks. When another station in the network receives this broadcast, will it automatically update its ARP cache?

I know that with Regular ARP this is not the case, but what about Gratuitous ARP?

I am a bit confused because i read the following in the wireskark FAQ:
    link

The above, is it just in the case that we have Clusters? Because I run Wireshark and I can not see any updates in any ARP cache in my systems when a Gratuitous ARP is firsly broadcasted.

Thank you, any help will be appreciated

2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

If I recall correctly, in general Windows will not populate the arp cache with information from a gratuitous arp, but Linux will.

Spice Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  3. george_gp

george_gp New Member

That΄s also what I think. Using wireshark I didn΄t see any update in the ARP cache with information from a gratuitous ARP.

So, the text that I quote earlier, i.e. the FAQ from wireshark, is it oriented for Linux or maybe for special NIC΄s that support this operation?

Thank you