Gov Essay

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Tako no Taiko, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Tako no Taiko

Tako no Taiko Bit Poster

So in comparative gov. we are studying the UK's government and parlamentry system. And we have to right an essay about how the EU and the UK interact and the big debate about how sovereign can Britain remain with being a member of the EU. I was just wondering, since u guys live in Britain (well most of u n/e way) how do u feel about this topic. Any insight would be much appreciated! :biggrin

Thanks!

~TNT

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think this is a pretty hot topic within the UK and there will be many different points of view. To show the extremes of this a couple of links that Google threw up

Free Britain

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

I did study the EU or Common Market as it was called when I was at schoool, a long time ago, and that formed my opinion then and I have had no reason to change it. The European Community when it first started was a great idea for trade, removing unfair taxes and quotas from member states.

My personal thoughts, and mind this is my opinion only, is that whilst I have an enormous amount of respect for our European cousins, the Britain is about as far as it should be within the EU.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i decided some time ago that i would not discuss politics or religion on a public forum anymore, but i'm gonna offer my 2 eurocents anyway. then i'll shut up.

my uneducated opinion, as a non-brit, is that both britain and the eu should make a decision. either britain is in or it is out. if it wants in, britain should deal with the consequences (like giving up a fair ammount of sovereignty). if it doesn't want those consequences, then it should stay out. no hard feelings.

being from another member state (the netherlands), i can say i greatly dislike the eu and i despise the way it is operating now, but it is the route we've chosen, so we might as well give it a shot. it will be a long road, but i think together we can create something decent of this little project. there are pros and cons to being a member state, just as there are pros and cons to being independent. but you can't expect to go halfway and get the best of both options, and i get the feeling that is what britain is trying to do. all member states are struggling to find a new balance, trying to commit to (and benefit from) the eu, while wanting to retain a certain ammount of identity. britain is hardly alone in that, but it is resisting the hardest of all, and currently that is not helping "the cause". so in or out, what'll it be?

allow me to stick my foot back into my mouth. feel free to shoot this post down.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As a Brit, I agree with d-faktor. :iagree

I have nothing more to say. :biggrin

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You are of course quite correct d that we should make a decision, in or out. The unfortunate thing is that the British Government seem unable to let the people have their say on the matter. As other countries within the EU have had a public vote, we seem to be unable to excersise our democratic right using the polling booth

I, as you, very rarely discuss politics in an open forum, and I had to think long and hard if I was to reply to this thread but as it was for TNT's project I thought I would.

Please note my opinions are mine and are in no way intended to inflame or insult.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Tako no Taiko

Tako no Taiko Bit Poster

hey guys!

Thank you all soooo much for your help and insight. it really did help clarify some stuff that a dumb text book (and a teacher who sounds like one) couldn't. I'm sorry if I broached an unsaid 'no-no' topic and will be more careful in what I post in the future. Thank you guys again! ttyl!

~TNT