good training providers at reasonable price

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by trina2705, Dec 7, 2005.

1. trina2705

trina2705 New Member

hi guys i'v had a look around and i see that im not the only one thats been brought here due to a scheidegger interview..

i really need some advice about affordable courses on A+ n N+ n MCSA, MCSE,

has anyone passed and found work with a course provider?

Please help thank you guy's in advance!!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Trina, welcome to CF!

It is extremely hard to say how many people have found work directly through a training provider. I'm sure that many members here have been on courses, but (I believe) many of them have found work through their own endevours to secure it, and not relied to much on the promise of it from a provider.

In terms of affordable courses it ultimately comes down to (in my opinion) two things.

1. Can you afford to train with a provider?

and

2. Do you need the motivation that being with a provider will bring, i.e. deadlines etc?

If the answer to these questions is yes then make your own decisions and go with the provider wh you feel is right for you.

If the answer is no then going it alone through self study may be a better option for you.

8)

3. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

Hello Trina

I don't know if this will help with your decision, but over the last week i've been talking with Skillstrain, computeach, and nitlc, and in most regards they are similar.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to do my A+, Network+, then move on to MCSA/MCSE or CCNA.. From the experience i've had with the course providers they may try to get you on a plan to get to MCSE/CCNA etc. The thing is after scanning the advice on these forums for the last few days, I've made my decision to self-study the A+ and Network+, and then possibly look at courses depending on what I want to acheive after that.

Like simon said, it does depend on motivation and whether you have the funding etc, but also be realist with yourself about how much you want to achieve, then take stock and progress from there.

I'm in no way criticising these courses (I have no experience of them), but try to figure out what YOU want and how you want to achieve it. (ie. go for the big exams wholesale or take it in managable steps).

Whatever you decide (and i'm sure other users will be on here to offer more experienced advice), I wish you good luck :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes all good advice guys!

The truth is that all training providers no matter where they are in the world are much the same.

Firstly you get a salesman who probably doesn't have any real clue about IT. He will do his job, which is to try and convince you that you should sign up with their company. They may even give you an exam which you will pass and then they will make you feel special. This is all a ploy to suck you in.

Once you are signed up, you will soon find out that the course material is lacking in enough depth and you will be left to self study the white papers and other documents like RFC (requests for comments). These documents are often hundreds of pages.

The Microsoft MOCs (Microsoft Official Curriculum) states in the opening pages that it is not directly related to the exam. You are again expected to self study.

Self study is a major component of what it takes to hack it in IT. We absolutely must self study in order to stay up to speed on the latest advancements in technology.

IMHO most disgruntled students get frustrated by the complexity of the material and then blame the training provider because they didn't expect there to be so much work to do.

The MCSE is one heck of a long haul, pull your hair out, frustrating thing to attain. Be prepared to work and study very hard.

My advice is to keep your money in your pocket. Take things one step at a time. Don't set your goals too high and use this forum and the rest of the Internet as your mentors and tutors.

We have capable people here that can either answer your questions directly or fire you a decent link to a good explanation.

Do you really want to part with money just to get motivated? If so, you are going to find yourself quickly falling behind once the course is over and you are on your own.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. SAS_Major_83

SAS_Major_83 New Member