good training for CCNA/MCSE?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by afox3361, Mar 31, 2005.

1. afox3361

afox3361 New Member

Hi, Ive just completed my A+ through the local college and found it a bit of a hard slog to get there every lesson with a 48hr a wk job.

Ive been looking at distance learning and narrowed it down to nitlc or Scheidegger. I am leaning towards CCNA and CCNP over the MCSE, based on the type of work I want to do. Can anyone reccomend either course, trainer, or even somewhere else?

Ive heard plenty of bad stuff about scheidegger but their course seems more involved than NITLC's and it includes router simulation software. Only prob is how much more expensive it is, without exams included either..

Am worried bout other comments about out of date workbooks.

comments would be very much appreciated! thanks

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, welcome to CertForums, afox. Glad you found the place. I don't have any direct experience with either firm but you could start by doing a search of our site for both names and reading the various threads. That'll give you a quick review of the opinions of our members who have used either trainer.

It's a tough decision trying to decide who to invest so much money in. Once you've signed a contract, it's pretty hard to get out of it again and for the prices these outfits charge, no one could blame you for wanting to get the most bang for your buck.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck. BTW, stop by the New Member's Forum and introduce yourself to the gang. We'd like to hear a little bit about you. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

To be honest with you, if you are inclined toward the Cisco side of certification start with the CCNA. AFAIK it a pre-requsite for you to have certified as a CCNA before studying for the CCNP, its pretty much a progression from CCNA to CCNP.

As to doing the CCNA as a distance learner, personally I wouldnt recommend it. I started the CCNA at my local collage in October 2003, for personal reasons I dropped out at the end of the second symester (badly injured in a car accident, partner died, depression - bad time all round). Anyway, there are a massive ammount of labs to complete during the CCNA, and these can only really be done in a room full of Cisco seitches and routers. While there are a number of Cisci emulators out there, the hands on experience of cabling together several computer, switches and routes is incredably valuable.

My recomendation is to do the CCNA in a local Cisco training center, and not via a distance learning course. As a bonus, the course is bound to be less expensive at a local collage. I paid £800 in fee's to study at a collage about 3 miles from my home, and I believe the CCNP was £1600 for a 2 year course.

WIP: A+
  4. afox3361

afox3361 New Member

That's a really good angle, and definitely worth looking at. I completely agree with the hands-on thing now ive looked at the courses a bit closer.

Thanks a lot mate

5. strangeupquark

My pleasure. :D

Oh my god, I helped someone. :ohmy :blink :D

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Gives you that warm tingly feeling inside doesn't it.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. strangeupquark

Is that what it was?

Cool..... I thought it was the dodgy Tuna Salad I ate at Liverpool Airport on Monday night, when my EasyJet flight was delayed for two and a half hours. :dry

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

From what I've heard about Liverpool you can be glad it was only two and a half hours.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685