1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving serious thought to persuing Linux+

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Les1977, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

I'm giving serious thought to pursuing the Linux+ certification.
    I have used it as my main OS since 2001, and although back then it was still in its infancy, and no one I knew had even heard of it, I look around today, and I am starting to see it creep into common use.
    This year I have configured 3 Linux boxes for people already, so I think it is time.

Anyone else on here done the Linux+ certification? And can anybody recommend the best books or resources for this?

How difficult is the Exam compared with the Network+

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonV

SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

Did you make a decision on this in the end?
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

I have the Linux+, I got it when it was in beta. However since it has been merged with LPI, so no idea what it is like now. Linux+ I took was pretty easy, about the same as Network+.
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  4. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

Yes, I have watched the TrainSignal videos, and am now studying the LPIC-1 complete study guide (Sybex).

Although I have used Linux for some years now, there is a considerable amount to learn, however it touches on various subjects, that may be relevant in other areas too, such as SQL.

At the very least, the Linux Cert would be a plus point on a CV, even in PC repair, given the number of Netbooks etc, now running Linux.

Apparently since the exam now follows LPIC, it has become considerably harder, with a 60% failure rate. It is now more geared towards Linux administrators with considerable experience. But I think if I study hard enough, I can pass it.

If I do, I will do a write up on here, with resource recommendations etc
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680