Ghost V RIS

Discussion in 'Software' started by AJ, Sep 22, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Been toying with this one for a little while.

Ghost or RIS. Using Server 2003 with XP/2000 clients (slowly moving to XP only)

Now whilst I think ghost is a very good tool to use, you do have to pay a fee for each licence (pc you use with ghost) a year. This is working out quite expensive each year considering the amount of pc's we have in the school. We ghost everything, including Office rather than use AD to install software (it's just the way it's been done). I think the reasoning is that in a school the PC's have software for each dept and they don't want installs happening when the kids log on as they only have a certain time during the lesson.

So any advice on this then chaps???

Not a poll as such as well but what do you lot use as well??

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, its horses for courses innit ?

I mean, with RIS it's one partition only, and W2k Pro only (officially)

Ghost is more flexible in that regard.

RIS requires more time to complete too... but then again, its more flexible with hardware...

*shrug* depends on your needs surely?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

AJ, do you have a lot of pc's that are identical? If so then here's what I do with our stuff. We have a lot of pc's that were bought at the same time so are all the same. We also have only one imaging program, Drive Image 5. Install it on one pc, make boot floppys or a boot cd with the imaging program. Then set up another pc with all the stuff you want on it and settings too. Then take an image of that pc and use it as your base install for all other pc's of the same type.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I adopt the same method as Nugget, only with ghost instead.

We have about 5 different 'batches' of PC's around the school, and run them all from a single 'core' ghost image.
    Because of the different hardware setups in the batches we actually have five different images, but they all come form the same core image.

We then re-image all PC's each summer with the updated software for the next year.

If we have updates to apply during the year we will push them out overnight through MSI packages, so that students dont notice them.

Any new software that gets purchased during the year again gets pushed out as an MSI overnight.

As I make sure that all of the PC's across the school run the same software this approach works.

8)