1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a 1st Line Support Job

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rabiul, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

Hi all,

I want to gain employment in the IT industry but obviously you need experiance, but i need the EXPERIANCE first, what can i do to gain experiance as 1st line support/helpdesk?

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Apply for jobs and eventually get one!

Thats about all you can do, its never easy at the start but start studying A+ and apply for entry level jobs.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try to get a job in a support job, if you have know customer experience and want to get that first try an ordinary call center job.

You could try volunteering at a charity that needs IT support, there are endless ways the most important things is to keep trying.

I see you have asked on another post about skillstrain there a few member who are with them and will reply at some point, but a lot of people on here self study as there is no need in going with a training provider.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need experience to get an entry-level job. By definition, an entry-level job is one where you ENTER the field... and if you're just entering the field, you can't have had any experience. Thus... you need to find an entry-level IT job.

Some 1st line and helpdesk jobs are entry-level. Sure, employers might WANT or PREFER someone with experience... but they don't usually REQUIRE experience.

Hope this helps!
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!