Get some money for my IT certificates

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mikeinch, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mikeinch

mikeinch New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm working in non-IT sector, but I've taken CCNA and MCSE certificates. If anyone knows how may I return my money for exams / over 700$ / ?

Best Regards,
    Mike

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

OK you don't work in IT, but you've already done a Cisco exam that expires and another high level professional IT credential, the MCSE? Is that right?

Apart from that, I'm sorry to say, that I don't understand what you're trying to say/ask.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

eh, what?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. mikeinch

mikeinch New Member

So let's me explain what I mean....
    I have active MCSE and CCNA certificates. So did you know, if it possible to get some money for my certificates? Like month fee rent or for existing projects rent? I just need to know is there some way to earn some money from my certificates. My point is that I spend over $700 to get these certificates and now I am looking for a way to get back some of my spending.

My job is not related with IT, so I don't want to change it right now ... I just wonder if there a way for additional income?

Wishes,
    Mike

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

If you didn't want to change your job into IT, why did you do the IT qualifications?

It's like me getting a tree surgeon qualification, not wanting to actually use it but somehow wanting to get money just for having it. :rolleyes: Not exactly a bright idea.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Actually, not sure if it's allowed or even happens, but me and my colleagues were joking about renting our MS points to companies who haven't reached the amount needed to renew a gold partnership or such. You can add your own certifications to whatever business you like as far as I'm aware. Not sure it even happens but made for a good laugh about renting our selves out.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Companies get far more partner points for simply buying or flogging a few MS licenses, having a few certified staff is just a bonus. I seriously doubt many companies would be interested in your certs.

The partner program is a marketing scheme to encourage takeup of MS products, having trained people to sell and install those products is a side benefit.

You really seem to have the wrong idea about certification.

8. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Do you have any experience working with the things covered by MCSE and CCNA? If not, you are more likely to struggle to make any return on your investment than if you had taken some entry level certs.

Please try to let us know exactly what your plans are so that we can give better advice!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  9. greenbrucelee

get a job that relates to them to recoupe money. If you are asking does anyone want to buy them of you then I am sure thats a bit illegal and there are plenty of people on here who would report you to microsoft for that.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You could put your certs into a nice frame and rent them to someone who wants to hang them on the wall to impress visitors.

They could put a sticker over your name with theirs on it.
    I haven't really thought this through, so I'm clutching at straws a bit.

Have you tried returning your certificates to Microsoft or Cisco and asking for a refund?
    Don't know if that's been tried before.

People here are always moaning about trying to get refunds out of training providers, but take the battle to the main man, that's what I say.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You can have mine fella. Start a collection, like. That way when you sell them on EBay you'll be able to advertise more than one item with a 'buy it now' price.

Seriously though - why don't you keep them? I'm sure that you'll be able to get a nice high-paid job if you tell recruiters you've got an MCSE and CCNA.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

im curious as to how you got a ccna / mcsE without having an IT job.. legend? braindumps?

let me know!:biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

It appears you spend money, not time

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  14. greenbrucelee

yes what dazza said

managing to pass 8/9 very high level exams is very impressive especially with no IT job

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rental of your certifications is against Microsoft's and Cisco's partner policies (and might even be a violation of their certification policies). And, in my opinion, the practice of certification rental is reprehensible. It does nothing but water down and devalue our hard-earned certifications.

The point of certification is NOT to rent your certifications to a company... it's to show an employer what you are capable of doing. If that's not why you got your certifications... you ought not have them in the first place. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. mikeinch

mikeinch New Member

Hi guys,
    Some history of this question.....
    I use to work for content provider three years ago. In this time I thought to develop myself in this direction, but now I'm helping to my wife in Construction Company with management and accounting.

I don't think that "formal hiring of people with certificate" is a problem for Microsoft or any other vendor... I know companies with employees on three different continents ... So it's impossible to know if this man works for me or just I own his certificate for partnership or for some project!

That's my point!
    Thank to all answers
    Mike

17. greenbrucelee

I still dont get this.

If you hire someone who has some certs you do not own those the certs the employee who has them does.

you can not sell your certs to someone else so they can make out they have passed those exams.

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not going to happen.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I say can this thread, it's going nowhere and it's all around a horrible practice, this is not what CF is about.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Dude - you're not making any sense. I'm sure that in there is a valid point or question, but nobody here can understand it. Is it possible you could get someone to translate for you (someone for whom English is a first, or reasonably competent second language?)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em