Gameboy Rom's & Emoulators Script

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by EduTech, Jun 28, 2008.

1. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

Hi All,

Students are starting to now bring games on memory sticks to play on in lessons, Ban all the websites so they think they can do it this way.

Anyhow, Does anyone know what file extensions which are used by the emulator or even the game.. and then have the knowledge to help me make a script that will stop these extensions been loaded so that they cannot then launch the games.

Or is this even possible.

Thanks for you help in advance

Regards

James .

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

the emulators will load as exe's in most cases, so you couldnt really do that.

I Think you are going to be hard pressed to stop it to be honest, apart from punishing those caught.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

Yea problem with that is i styll need the students to be able to use them to save work etc and bring work in from home

James.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

ok printing that off now, will take a look :)

Thanks

James.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

This is a difficult question to answer.

The reason being is that we have a Software Restriction Policy at work, great you might think.

However, the games that people play are actually in Excel, so if you want people not to use Excel then your on a winner (unless there is a way in Excel to prevent the games from playing).

He is a link to a site they use http://www.excelgames.org/

Not sure how else to get round this apart from what Nightwalker said about restricting USB Devices. Then if they can access email, they could just send an email to themselves on Hotmail etc unless you restict this as well.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps set the security settings to high in Excel? Might stop some of 'em :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

My brain only just clicked in a few minutes ago :)

11. Sparky

hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

Its not the Excel Games we are having issues with, dont think they know about that yet.

they do have email access.... but they aint able to download .exe's via mail so that's not a problem.

Try searching Google about this and is useless. :(

I know that it uses a .gba File extension < that's the rom's and the emulators use .exe

its a pain

James.

13. Sparky

Can you not block the .gba file extension through software restriction policy?

14. EduTech

EduTech Bit Poster

Well Thats what i am going to try Monday when i go in, was not until now i found out what file extension they were. never actually used them myself u see.

James.

15. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

You can find out the emulators that they are using and research around the file formats, as emulator roms are pretty consistent. If you are thinking about actualtual games:

1. Game file formats vary as they are usually proprietory to the game studio where they were created, or maybe unique to the tools made for the game at the studio. So blocking them is near impossible.

2. Block any file format that is not used in your lessons! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.