Free Partition (Volume) Creation Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Wright, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Dear members,

On one of our servers at work that's running Windows Server 2003 I'd like to shrink a volume that's been assigned the drive letter 'I' and then create and allocate the space to a new volume, drive letter 'J'. I know there are lots of software packages out there that can supposedly do this, but most of them cost money, and I'd rather not make the investment as this will literally be a one off.

Is there anything that's free that does the same job that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

How big is drive I and how much data does it contain?

Would it not be possible to temporarily move the data off this drive (back it up or move to another disk), then delete the partition, recreate it with a smaller size and then restore the data before moving on to making partition J?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You want to trust a freeware application, on a production server in your environment? I'd be dubious about trusting it on my own machine, let alone a production business machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've used Acronis Disk director suite before, to resize server partitions etc, but it isn't free. Fortunately they have a 15 day trial that may be of use to you.

Trial

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Alex Wright

2.5TB; 750GB storage space is free and I'd like to allocate this to the J: drive.

6. Alex Wright

No, that's why I'm asking the question! However, I'm a massive fan of open source products and many of them put their corporate counterparts to shame. So less of the 'freeware bashing' Ferg! :biggrin

7. Alex Wright

Cool! I'll install this in my test lab environment and have a play.

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

With paid software, you at least have someone to blame when things go wrong ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

No bashing taking place here. I love freeware apps as much as the next guy, I just wouldnt trust a freeware app to do something like that that could result (if not done right) in wiping the entire drive - Not without a substantial recommendation at any rate.

My point (although I never really put it across properly) was that either you should bite the bullet and get in a tried and tested app (which usually means paying for it), or carefully consider what it is you are actually attempting to achieve, and see if there isnt a better way to do it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Alex Wright

That is true! :)

11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Bit of an old thread but I use gparted which is free and based on Linux and Gnome. It's basically a Linux live CD with partitioning software on it. Dead easy to use.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011