Free alternatives to Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Alex Wright, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Can anybody recommend any that are reasonable? There's no doubt hundreds out there but I don't want to waste my time downloading and testing them only to find that they're no good.

This one had good reviews, what do you think?

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I switch between Dreamweaver and NVU, depending on what I'm doing - check out NVU.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi,
    I currently use DW at work, but have used and would recommend NVU.
    HTH
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

What type of Web sites are you looking to create? I.e. what type of language support do you need? I've tried to use Aptana in the past, but never liked it. But, I'm used to Visual Studio, which costs a lot of money, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. There is, however, a free version of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Express if you need support for .NET languages.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Notepad.exe 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I was gonna say that! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why didn't you then?:twisted:

It really depends on what kind of sites you want to design. If you're just looking for html then this one here is much more useful than notepad.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Alex Wright

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and my apologies for the belated response.

Basically, without giving too much away here, me and my friends are looking to build our own website that in time will hopefully see us make some money. It'll be a commercial site with forums, where like here (not looking to create a rival site to CF by the way!), people are able to log-in and amend their profiles.

We'd like to have a news page, send out a weekly news letter, and we also hope to sell merchandise on the site. If, as we hope, within a few years the site really starts to takes off, then we may even look to charge a fee for a yearly or six monthly subscription (won't be a large amount... but as I mentioned we are in this to make money).

I hope that I've given enough information for you to make some good recommendations. I appreciate that without knowing what the purpose of the site is, it's difficult to make suitable suggestions.

10. BosonJosh

Are you looking to just edit HTML or do you plan to be writing code using whatever IDE you select? If you're looking at this as possibly being a business one day, then why not plan on investing some money in good tools? I wouldn't dare try to plant a tree with just a spade, and I wouldn't dare try to create a professional looking Web site with notepad.exe, when there are excellent tools available. As you have indicated, there are plenty of free options available, but most of the "good" options I've seen cost money, although some are as inexpensive as $35US.

Without knowing what platform you'll be targeting (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD) or what language you want to use (PHP, Ruby, .NET, etc), it's hard to give you any helpful advice on *good* and *free* IDEs, as many are targeted towards specific languages. As others have said, Aptana will do many things and has a free version, but I wasn't all that impressed when I tried to use it. YMMV.

Another option might be to look at platforms like VBulletin (which runs this site) or Invision Power Board, which is another full-feature forums application.

11. Alex Wright

Hi Josh,

Yes, initially I'm looking to edit just HTML and maybe some CSS and Java Script. We'll predominately be targeting Windows and Linux platforms and I plan on using PHP. I'm still fairly new to this game hence why I don't see the need to rush out and spend £££s on a tool that's not really needed, yet. What I'm looking for is something that's a little more helpful than a plain text editor such as notepad, but also something that supports additional features such as CSS.

12. BosonJosh

Then, I'd suggest taking a look at Notepad++. Although it uses the name Notepad, it's much more powerful than Notepad.exe. It's also free.

13. Alex Wright

Thanks for the link Josh; I'll have a gander!

14. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

bittorrent....need i say more... suddenly expencive quality dreamweaver becomes free quality dreamweaver

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  15. BosonJosh

And, suddenly law-abiding Alex becomes criminal Alex. What you're advocating is that Alex steal Dreamweaver. :mad Why don't you just suggest he walk into a retail store and take a copy of Dreamweaver and walk out? It's the same difference...both are illegal. Just because it's freely available doesn't mean it's available for free.

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Josh. If you can get a full-featured version of Dreamweaver for free...you're stealing it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Whilst I don't condone the downloading of copyrighted materials I have to correct one thing. Downloading software, music, or movies is not a criminal offence in the United Kingdom. It's a Civil Wrong.

Sorry to be pedantic but it annoys the hell out of me when newspapers and TV shows says it's a criminal offence.

18. Alex Wright

Don't worry guys, I have no intention of downloading Dreamweaver. I was already aware that I could, but I find that sort of thing highly unethical.

19. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

United States, dreamweaver = £204.95 ( $399 )
    Source: https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/st...ions/Dreamweaver&distributionMethod=FULL&nr=0

United kingdom, Dreamweaver = £393
    Source: https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/st...ions/Dreamweaver&distributionMethod=FULL&nr=0

price conversions by http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Personally, I find this unethical. why should i pay so much more for a product than someone else? it didnt cost them any more to let me download it in england rather than in the US. Untill companies start charging the british the same amount as the rest of teh world, i'll keep condoning peeer to peer networks

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Paint it however you want... it's still stealing... and that makes them a criminal in my eyes, if not by the courts' eyes.

Just sayin'. Stealing stuff I created is stealing food from my kids' mouths, so I don't take too kindly to that sorta behavior.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!