Flippin gadgets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Dec 5, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Right folks , get your braind on the ready . I have an mp3 player which when i first got it was great , i put all the sone on it that i wanterd and it plyed them wqith no worries, but the other day for some reason it displayed the message incorrect format reformat the player, so even tho i didnt know why i had to i did anyway as it just wouldnt play what so ever.

now as i type im looking at the screen on themp3 and its telling me that its reading /writing as it would do if i was putting songs on it , the screen on the computer is basically stuck and in a sense just crashes, but the mp3 player screen is still saying reading / writing ? Now i notice my windows is running on NTFS format and that the plyer is on FAT32 , i cant see that this wouyld be the problem as i would of had it from the start ??? So besides taking it back to dixons does anyone have any theorys on this ?? All help would be gratefull :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

its a storage device
    it uses the FAT file system
    things go wrong with FAT
    try chkdsk or reformat
    you do have a backup right?

can't think of anything else to try

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. zxspectrum

Well i try the reformat nad actually managed to get it to reformat in FAT instead of FAT32, and i even had songs playing on it , but now again its gone all belly up its coming up with the incorrect format reformat the player all my files on here are eithyer mp3 or wma which the player accepts. One thing ive noticed as well is that it send my computer up the blooming wall, ill be tryimg to reformat and it will freeze and cause all my desktop to disappear leaving only my backdrop, this lasts for about 5-10 seconds at a time, just to be on the safe side ive even scanned it with anti virus tosee if that could be a problem but that was fine. When you say back up are you meaning in the respect of backing up all your informnation on the com , or do you just mean for the MP3 player , as all my tunes are on the com and are not affected and i can put them on willy nilly ??? thanks for your time as well matey

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

what model of mp3 player is it ?

Did it come already formatted in fat or fat32? cos if it was fat32 you really ought to reformat in fat32. Also, some models may require formatting with vendor s/w rather than through explorer...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. zxspectrum

Well i tried to do FAT32 butit wouldnt let me , it would start to the freeze up and start doing a marry dance with my com, it did howvever do in just FAT. It gives you optios to use either , but i really cant see that being the problem. As i said before, is has played music but yet again has gone belly up , The MP3 player is a logik 1GB, nothjing special , only 50 quid from dixons a month ago

6. zxspectrum

Well i took the 1 gig MP3 back and managed to exchange it for a better model for 30 quid extra which is a logik 3.3 so i was quite chuffed really. Then i load all the software in etc no problem , except when itry and hook the thing up , it recognises that there is a drive there , i e removable drive E but it plays up withg the computer.

It makes all the prgrams crash , it slows the computer down , and if i ever get the jukebox restore tool to work on it it will just say runtim error ,i dont really want to take it back so has any one any ideas why this bundle of joy is a bundle of kack ?? :cry:

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

id suspect because it was cheap as chips (no fake tan here, thanks). you generally get what you pay for. course it just be because the brand was a heap of junk. if the second model is causing problems (and within such a short timescale), id consider switching models. go for a creative, barring a few minor problems with a couple of songs freezing up the mp3 player when trying to transfer it, i havent had an issue with mine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present