First quiz night

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nugget, Oct 8, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes Nugget Tuesday is fine...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Don't worry about that doctorlegg, I only got my book on friday, and I'm only 120 pages in!

The way I figure it, is no one can see you, so who gives a fig. It's not like making an arse of your self in pub quiz on a friday night after a few pints, and being asked to spell congratulations! plus it's all good fun, and a virtual bonding session ( no sexual conotations implied! ).

that seems to be a recurring theme throughout my life :)

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  3. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Yep, I'm looking forward to taking part. With a bit of luck I'll get a few right! [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Derek.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Phoenix m8, I'm in no way disagreeing with you here, but I feel we may be starting to blur the area we are trying to focus on here...

aka Nugget and Flex have a great idea for a quiz, set-up primarily to benefit the increasing number of our Members currently studying the A+. Thats the prime focus of this thread. What you seem to be alluding to (soz if I'm wrong here) is more of an A+ masterclass, where we can discuss issues beyond the initial exam objectives.

That in itself is a first class idea, but I reckon that in the first instance, we should concentrate on the quiz, and think about other developments later. I mean, ffs at least we've managed to get NoelG to actually commit to a specific day - now there's an achievement in itself ! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i could be mistaken, but as i understood it, they wanted a quiz, and settled on the A+ due to the large demand, not because thats what they set out to do (i could be clearly wrong here, so flex and nug please let me know if i am) it was supposed to be an entertaining way of enhancing the community, and helping people study with a lighter form of revision than just 'reading a book' I didnt recall the original plan calling for it to be an A+ quiz, but alas i could be wrong :D

defo not a 'masterclass' thats a whole other ball game, just suggesting we broaden the quiz, not by too much, but its usually the higher subject matter that appeals to people, its what interested them in IT in the first place, and hence inspires them to learn more, taking in all the basics along the way to help understand the advanced stuff

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Amen to that [​IMG]

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is in part correct Phoenix. When flex came up with the idea and we discussed it further we realised the potential of this. I told flex I'd like to take the idea further and he said he'd like to see it done too. I decided on an A+ quiz to start with for a couple of reasons. One is as you mention, due to an increasing number of members studying A+. Another is that flex and myself are currently studying A+.

As flex started with the idea and said I can run with it, I guess it's up to me to get it going. The idea was put forward as a quiz to help us learn in a fun way. The idea is also open for any topic at all but as I stated above, I'm currently studying A+ so that's what I decided I would base this quiz on. That's not to say I have an exclusive right to do this. Anyone can put a quiz forward on any topic they choose. I'm sure more would be welcome.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, time for an updated roll call.

Punkboy101
    Noelg
    Christof
    Doctorlegg
    Bull Gates
    flex22 (possible)

and about 15 moderators :D

Looks like about 5-6 questions each.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  9. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Has there been a rough date decided on that the quiz will be running? I'll be out of the country for a few weeks soon so may end up missing it depending on when it'll be happening.

Cheers,
    Derek.

10. christof

christof Nibble Poster

can we confirm the time that this is kicking off tonight. Time in GMT.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes, tonight is THE night, at around 9.30'ish GMT.

Just jump into the chat room when you're ready. We can wait till everybody's there and then kick it off.:D

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I sure hope so...Im all geared up for this! :D...will be having my 900 page book with me at all times...or are we not allowed to cheat? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you can read the question, look in the book for relevant info and then start to answer all within 10 seconds, then by all means.:D

14. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Ah, didn't realise it was tonight! 9:30 it is !

Cheers,
    Derek.

15. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Noel, why would you want to be allowed to "cheat"? If you ask me, it kinda defeats the point of testing your knowledge. Try to get used to doing things without the book infront of you, as in the real world you won't alway's have access to what you need.

When I was at the netacademy, most of the other student's would use their books to answer the questions on the exams we had to do. I could never understand why. Obviously in the real exam you can't take your book in with you, so why get into the habbit of using the book when answering questions in an exam enviroment?

This isn't a personnal attack on you noel, so please don't take offence. It just amazes me that people feel they need to have the book infront of them when answering questions. Try to rely on your knowledge and understanding, not a book is what i say! :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Punkboy

whilst your ability to answer the questions without the aid of the book is required for the exam, in the real world you are almost certainly going to have books and material on the software/hardware you are using (those that dont are very naughty engineers)

and your ability to find information quickly and accurately in a book is also an invaluable skil; in the IT field
    (this includes using google noel, so dont think your getting off the hook) :)

whilst it may be a tad pointless for this quiz, as it is exam training for A+
    i just thought i would point out that in the real world you will amost certainly have material to reference, infact any good engineer has a mountain of a 'reference library' and a firm grasp of google :)

infact some more advanced IT certs are open book, as a real world situation would be, like the Compaq ASE and MASE (prob renamed now) and the CCIE LAB (not open book as such, ciscos CCIE reference library and product guides are provided in the lab, you dont bring your own books afaik)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I agree with all of the above Phoenix, and perhaps what i wrote wasn't that clear. I agree that all engineer's should have a big technical library, and like most of the people here, mine is growing at a steady pace.

However the point I was trying to make (albiet not very clearly lol :oops: ) was that you never know when your gonna come up against something that you don't have the info on hand for.

e.g. I don't come across Cisco equipment everyday at the moment, therefore I don't carry a Cisco book in my bag. It sit's at home or the office. Now, let's say it's at home, and I get called out to a job where the customer know's nothing about his system (which is normally the case!), all he know's is that he can't access the internet .

I get to the job to have a look, and there is a cisco router sat there (This is what is causing the problem btw). I don't want to have to make a 1 hour round journey to pick up my book unless it is really necessary, cause this guy is freakin out. I can't access the internet (obviously). That means that Google is out of the question.

So, it's up to me and what I know to get the job done. That's what i meant by you will not always have access to what you need there and then in the real world.

We need to be able to think on our feet, because you never know what you might come up against, especially in the job I'm in at the moment. I don't know what my next job is gonna be from one hour to the next sometime's, so it can be hard to prepare in advance. :(

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, mods if you wanna move these post, please do. :D

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Dont be daft Andy - free speech m8 :rolleyes:

If I can add my 2€, the above are all valid arguments, but this is the A+ we're talking about here. Obviously, it would be foolish to have a "no books or your out" policy, but I would expect our Members to be honest and honourable in this endeavour, and at least try to test their retained knowledge so far. After all, as we established way back, their is NO SHAME ATTACHED TO PERFORMANCE IN THIS QUIZ !!!!

As an example, with the various QOTDs on our Boards, I try to answer from memory, and if I can't I would rather be seen to not try, rather than "smart-arse" is every time from a book or a reference PC. It's the only way to learn.

As always, IMHO :D

19. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

The Great armadillo is always loud n clear about what he wants 2 convey!!
    IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Of course there is Jak, last place gets pounded with a sock of your best haggis mate. On the other hand, the winner gets a warm can of VB thats been open for a week. :D

Jeez I'm good to you lot. :D