1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first month in new job!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, May 31, 2009.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Well after a busy month I thought I would give you all an update on how the new job is going.
    It is HARD....fun but alot to learn!!
    Basically Im in a team of 7 people supporting 700 plus stores and the head office not just with windows support but also and mainly fixing errors within navision, although this isn't what i initially wanted to do I have found that this is what I love doing. I have never looked at datbases in much depth before (i wish i had).
    Its a great job because not only do I get to do all the normal first line stuff (account lockouts, printer installs, 1st level connectivity investigations etc) I also get to learn about databases and how they work, retail support and a whole other heap of stuff!
    Ive had loads of training (which is well needed) and everytime I feel I need to knnow something I get all the support i require!
    In total between us we take around 170 calls a day, we resolve around 80-90 percent of the calls at 1st level, it then gets escalated to various other departments. Pays not great but job satisfaction is amazing! :D
    I think the main thing ive learned from my first role so far is that I shouldn't have focused on one area of IT because I now feel I should be going down the development route, it can take hours to fix one problem but when you do....what a feeling!!
    What are other peoples experiences working with navision and databases, do you enjoy your work etc?

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I don't work on those but most of the time its pretty dull in my job. As most of the routine stuff is just constant toner changing, 'ive forgotten by password', pressing a power button type thing or re imaging. Then its just waiting for stuff to do or investigating something which may help improve the network.

The good bits are having a laugh with colleagues, helping students or teachers. Also fixing an issue which is taken ages or finally getting server/something to work gives you a feel good rush. - Going away knowing perhaps you've helped a little bit in your own way for the future generations.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.