First IT job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Renllek, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Renllek

Renllek New Member

Well.....its safe to say im chuffed. Not the best job in the world but its a start, and the money is not to bad either :)

Tomorrow i start working for EDS as a trainee service desk analyst on behalf of the MoD. Just been given my Basic clearence so that i am allowed on site and begin my training. And all this before i even managed to get my A+ cert :p

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!!!

WIP: A+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Fantasic news!

Well done :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Well done! :clap

First step is a foot in the door, see where it goes from there.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Security clearance too! Nice one, when you're a fully fledged engineer the security clearance opens lots and lots of job opportunities!

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Well done :D

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

Congrats on landing the first job, especially in the current economic climate :D

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job! congrats!!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. djskb

djskb New Member

Well Done!!!

Certifications: HND Computing, BA Hons I.T, N+
    WIP: MCP
  10. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

I know quite a few people that work for EDS and they dont seem too bad!

Good luck with your new career!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey

Congrats! Good to hear there are still jobs out there

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Thumbs up. That's what it is all about, getting your foot in the door. Hardest part over with.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

Well done.
    Not bad place to start:)

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done, that's a great start!

When you say you have "Basic clearance" do you mean they processed something when applying? The reason I ask, is I read somewhere that you can only get "clearance" on applying for appropriate positions and not something you can prepare for whilst looking for work. Is this correct?

Best of luck with the new job!

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. Renllek

Renllek New Member

Well i have basic clearence to be on the department but only have limited access to certian things at the moment. due to the nature of the position i need to have 'SC' clearence to do the job fully. This means being vetted by the Defence Agency.

Yes it was processed when i applyed for the job to allow me onsite. Then, while i am learing the ropes. My 'SC' clearence is applied for, the time for this to come through can take any amount of time. Could take a month or could take up to 6 months. (i have heard some people have waited over a year for it!!!)

If i managed to make my way up to 2nd line support i would need to have 'DV' clearence and that is really stringent!!!!

As far as i know you cannot apply for any of these clearence levels personally, they have to be applied for by the employing company on your behalf when applying for a job requiring it.

For more info about the clearence levels and what it involes to get them looksie here--->http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/A...yandIntelligence/DVA/DefenceVettingAgency.htm

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have SC clearance, mine took just under 6 months to come threw.

A good thing to have a on your CV :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. Renllek

Renllek New Member

yeah i know ;)