Finally passed MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Lingo, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Lingo

Lingo New Member

Hi,

I took the 70-272 this morning and passed with 788 so really happy. I found this forum last month and it helped so much knowing there's others out there studying for the same cert and passing which gave me a bit of confidence if anything. I've got to be honest I'm not the best when it comes to studying and I found it incredibly hard to concentrate on the material. This was my second attempt as my first score was 662 back in January. I took that exam way to early in hind sight and was'nt prepared as I should have been.
    I thought as others have been great on letting us know how they studied I thought I'd share what I did;

* I started casually reading the ms press book for a month last November, I'm not good at making relevant notes and I found the layout of the book well written anyway so stuck to that. I did an hour a day
    * I picked it up from december and started reading a chapter a day. Also while reading I had a second disk on my desktop with xp on and office and worked through exercises in the book. At work we use xp still so I would whenever i had 5 minutes just go through the interface and get even more familiar.
    * Come January I carried on with reading chapters and doing exercises but also did custom exams with the cd that came with the book, 20 questions at a time and carefully reading the explaination. Took the 70-272 exam failed.

What I changed:

* What I realised is that when studying for the 70-271 I studied from two resources to make sure I covered any gaps but I didn't do that with this exam so straight away I ordered the sybex book I heard from this site. I went through it noting any pages I thought weren't in the press release book. I then did the custom questions
    with that books cd.
    * I also went to the measure up site and brought an exam package for £21 and did what I should have done, a mock exam. I scored ok with 74% knowing the questions tend to be harder then the real thing. So again I carried on doing custom exams reading the explainations.
    * I started to get a little stressed with the work load of studying, managing work and carrying on doing training for sprinting in my spare time. So decided to cut the reading down as after 2 months it's pretty much in your head anyway.

Week before exam:

* The studying I did up till yesterday was just summarizing chapters, there's no point trying to learn new stuff
    because with me it won't stick. So that 's what I did with both books
    * I also decided how I'd approach the exam, I read that you should first eliminate the wrong answers then look at the possible right answers. So simple but really helped.

I'm going to have rest now then think about what to do next, good luck to anyone during this cert. The thing
    that got me was the retirement date but if it is June this year people should be able to doing it in the time given.

Certifications: MCDST
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

congrats

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:beers2

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass and thanks for sharing your experience and tips. I am still to take the 70-271 and I use the Microsoft book. I'll buy the Sybex book for extra info and probably an exam pack as well. Cheers!

Certifications: A+, MCP
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats on pass :thumbleft

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass, I've no idea about any of the MS exams, but it's all good, so congrats again, and good luck with future exams!

T

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  11. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well done

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. willolpl

willolpl Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass

Certifications: CompTia A+, MCP, MCDST
  15. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Congrats dude! and cheers for the advice. I also hope to conquer the MCDST or at least the 70-270 before Microsoft kills it in June.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

^^ *edit* 70 - 271

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3