1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FC6 - Kernel Source

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Chris-H, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

I started learning linux a few months ago with Slackware 10.2 (2.4 kernel, XFCE desktop).
    I decided to change to FC6 because:
    1. It offers the Gnome desktop which I seem to need for some multimedia apps and seems too big a job for me to download and install myself (I don't like or use KDE so I was using XFCE)
    2. It appears to be the preferred distro if I choose to pursue certs for Linux.

I downloaded and installed CD's 1-3 of FC6 - no problem.
    I need to compile my wireless driver (rt2500) which requires the kernel source. This is where I get stuck as I simply can't find it anywhere on my installation.

Any ideas? or should I go back to Slack?

2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I don't have an answer to your wireless question, but if I were you, I'd stick to CentOS -- it's essentially Red Hat Enterprise Linux without the badging. I've heard good things about Slackware (not for the faint of heart), but I always thought it was about as far from Fedora as possible. Not that Fedora is bad -- on the contrary, I have it running right now -- but tinkering with the latest and greatest can either elevate your knowledge, or keep you running in circles.

When I installed FC6, the 'Extras' repository selection had a bug that caused a BSOD (in GUI and CL), and I almost pulled the disc out to see if M$ was on it :biggrin However, I find that the 'desktop' distros are so nice that you stay away from CL -- something you cannot do in learning linux. Sure, the GUI tools are getting better, but sometimes they either don't do what they say they do, or they botch a config file.

In a related note, I find that when googling for CL instructions, I find way too many GUI tools in their place. Great for a putty/vnc remote session, but not on a straight ssh.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Very few distro's put the source code with the binaries it takes to run a system. Gentoo is the only distro I know of that gives you the source code by default. That means you have to search the Fedora repositories for the source code.

I'm not a Fedora user at all so I'm completely unfamiliar with where the repositories are, how access is structured etc.... I did find a link for compiling kernels in FC6 and will post it below. There should be instructions there on how to find, and install, the kernel source code.

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I put the subject line of this thread into Google and came up with this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+