Exporting files from IBM mainframe to Excel - possible?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by damo101, Mar 6, 2008.

1. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to check the times reports run in mainframe and export the data from mainframe (job name and time the job completed) to Excel? In mainframe it's fairly easy to set up a macro to check the job, but can't work out how to export it to excel. Tried using VuGen but i don't have a protocol that'll work.

Not sure if it's possible to do this, and even i could find out if it's not possible that'd be good enough for me!

TIA

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Anything is possible if you spend enough time on it. :biggrin

We would need some more details to say how to do it.

You say 'IBM mainframe' - model? Model of terminal? It is networked?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

It certainly is possible, but could take ages. I've reverse engineered files to work on different systems that they were originally incompatible with and it takes bloody ages!

Unless you can find a readily available tool I'd assume not. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Should be easy if you're any good at coding or scripting. You just need to write a program to get the data and write it to a file which could be a csv file for excel which is very simple.

The exact approach will depend on the situation, you could make it a standalone app that just generates csv's and then use removable media or FTP etc to move the files or you could write a network aware app with sockets or web services.

How you get the report data again depends, it might be in a database, or a file or might be a system call or launching a process and piping the output to a file etc. You may have little/big endian issues or file format or character encoding issues depending on the mainframe and your approach.

Most things are possible in programming with enough time and effort, alternatively you could look for an EDI tool that does the job.

5. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Bit of an update - could get it to work partially with VuGen using the RTE option but it would only capture the data once. I couldn't repeat it as the script wouldn't record the "send to" option.

Looks like it'll have to be done using PL/1.

Cheers for the advice anyways guys,
    D

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design